Web Survey Bibliography
Title Survey Measures of Web-Oriented Digital Literacy
Author Hargittai, E.
Source Social Science Computer Review, 23, 3
Access date 14.05.2005
Abstract This paper presents survey measures of Web-oriented digital literacy to serve as proxies for observed skill measures, which are much more expensive and difficult to collect for large samples. Findings are based on a study that examined users' digital literacy through both observations and survey questions making it possible to check the validity of survey proxy measures. These analyses yield a set of recommendations for what measures work well as survey proxies of people's observed Web-use skills. Some of these survey measures were administered on the General Social Survey 2000 and 2002 Internet modules making the findings relevant for the use of existing large-scale national data sets. Results suggest that some composite variables of survey knowledge items are better predictors of people's actual digital literacy based on performance tests than measures of users' self-perceived abilities, a proxy traditionally used in the literature on the topic.
Access/Direct link Homepage - Hargittai (full text)
Year of publication2005
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2005 (418)
- Web-Enabled Coding Procedures in the National Survey on Drug Use and Health; 2005; Handley, W.
- Examining the Effectiveness of Telephone Promoting in Increasing Self-Administered Web Participation; 2005; Franklin, J.
- Prompting Efforts to Raise Response Rates for a Web-Based Survey; 2005; Parker, M.
- The Effectiveness of E-mail in Obtaining Respondednts for Web-based Surveys; 2005; Jewell, D.
- Conducting the 2004 NKDEP (National Kidney Disease Education Program) Follow-Up Study: Lessons in a...; 2005; Bason, J. J.
- A Survey of Teachers: Comparing Web and Mail Survey Modes; 2005; Baldwin, M.
- Comparison of Web-Based & In-Person Survey Modes with 18 Year Olds; 2005; Muljat, A.
- Web Based CATI Case Management System; 2005; Suresh, R.
- Administering Surveys on the Internet; 2005; Best, S. J.
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Survey Quality and Mobile Phones; 2005; Kuusela, V., Notkola, V.
- Estimating the Working Number Rate for a Cellular Telephone Survey; 2005; Steeh, C. G., Hu, Z.
- Mobile self-interviewing: an opportunity for location-based marked research; 2005; Tjostheim, I.
- Bleeding Edge or Proven Technology? The Fact and the Fiction of Mobile Survey Computing; 2005; Cameron, M. R.
- Internet Survey Developments At Statistics Netherlands; 2005; Bethlehem, J.
- A Web-based Survey Creator; 2005; Payne, B., Crawford, E.
- A Comparison of Nonresponse Adjustment Methods with the Case Study of HIES; 2005; Yeanok, Y., Semi, K.
- Compilation of Composite Satisfaction Index in User Satisfaction Survey; 2005; Sam Min, K., Park, J.
- Major issues for improving the web-based data collection system; 2005; Jeon, J.
- Survey Automation through ActiveX components and XML Web Services; 2005; Segui, F.
- The Dutch Virtual Census of 2001; 2005; Nordholt, E. S.
- CAPI at MORI - A decade of mobile interviewing; 2005; Johnson, A. J.
- Developing a Mobile Transportation Survey System; 2005; Bates, I., Ramsey, B.
- Using Behaviour Coding to Analyze Interviewer/Respondent Interactions with a Mobile Computing Device; 2005; Hunter, J. E., Landreth, A.
- The Market Value Survey: Ensuring Quality on a Government Web Based Survey; 2005; Flatley, J., Ruston, D.
- A Comparison of an Online Card Sorting Task to a Rating Task; 2005; Thomas, R. K., Bayer, L. R., Johnson, A. M., Behnke, C. S.
- Unintended Consequences of Incentive Induced Response Rate Differences; 2005; Pope, D., Crawford, S. D., Johnson, E. O., McCabe, S. E.
- The Use of Monetary Incentives in the Survey of Income and Program Participation; 2005; Lewis, D., Creighton, K.
- A Comparison of Presidential Candidate Vote Intention Measures in U.S. Elections; 2005; Thomas, R. K., Krane, D., Sanders, M. G., Behnke, C. S.
- An Investigation of Response Difference between Cell Phone and Landline Interviews; 2005; Dipko, S., Brick, P. D., Brick, J. M., Presser, S.
- Mode Effects in Customer Satisfaction Measurement; 2005; Stegier, D.M., Keil, L., Gaertner, G.
- Prompting Efforts to Raise Response Rates for a Web-Based Survey; 2005; Venkataraman, L., Parker, M.
- From Crayons to Computers: The Evolution of Computer use in Redistricting; 2005; Altman, M., MacDonald, K., McDonald, M. P.
- Survey Measures of Web-Oriented Digital Literacy; 2005; Hargittai, E.
- Vote Over-Reporting: Testing the Social Desirability Hypothesis in Telephone and Internet Surveys; 2005; Holbrook, A. L., Krosnick, J. A.
- The Impact of Follow-up Contacts od Survey Data and Response Rates; 2005; Westin, E., Harmon, M., Levin, K.
- Mixed Mode Data Collection Using Paper and Web Questionnaries. A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in...; 2005; Werner, P., Forsman, G.
- Are Web Options Making a Difference?; 2005; Mooney, G., Rogers, B., Wood, M., Trunzo, D.
- High Response Rate or Better Data Quality? Examining the Trade-offs for an Establishment Survey; 2005; Harris-Kojetin, L., Kiefer, K.
- To Vote or Not to Vote?: A Comparison of Vote Intention Measures; 2005; Thomas, R. K., Sanders, M. G., Smith, R., Behnke, C. S.
- Reporting Standards for Internet Surveys and Polls; 2005; Tychansky, R. S.
- Effect of Respondent Motivation and Tack Difficulty on Nondifferentiation in Ratings: A Test of Satisficing...; 2005; Anand, S., Krosnick, J. A., Mulligan, K., Smith, W., Green, M. C., Bizer, G. Y.
- Comparing Major Survey Firms in Terms of Survey Satisficing: Telephone and Internet Data Collection; 2005; Krosnick, J. A., Nie, N., Rivers, D.
- Response Order Effects in Online Surveys; 2005; Thomas, R. K., Behnke, C. S., Johnson, A. M.
- Causes of Context Effects: How Questionnaire Layout Induces Measurement Error; 2005; Peytchev, A., Tourangeau, R.
- Can You Hear Me Now?: Differences in Vote Behavior in the Cell and Landline Populations; 2005; Albaghal, T.
- Using the Web to Survey College Students: Institutional Characteristics That Influence Survey Quality...; 2005; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Inkelas, K. K.
- What They See Is Not What We Intend-Gricean Effects in Web Surveys; 2005; Yan, T.
- Visual Context Effects in Web Surveys; 2005; Couper, M. P., Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R.
- Interactive Feedback Can Improve Quality of Responses in Web Surveys; 2005; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Galesic, M.