Web Survey Bibliography
Title Collective action in the age of the Internet: Mass communication and online mobilization
Source Social Science Computer Review, 20, 3, pp. 290-301
Access date 15.10.2004
Abstract This article examines how the Internet transforms collective action. Current practices on the web bear witness to thriving collective action ranging from persuasive to confrontational, individual to collective, undertakings. Even more influential than direct calls for action is the indirect mobilizing influence of the Internet's powers of mass communication, which is boosted by an antiauthoritarian ideology on the web. Theoretically, collective action through the otherwise socially isolating computer is possible because people rely on internalized group memberships and social identities to achieve social involvement. Empirical evidence from an online survey among environmental activists and nonactivists confirms that online action is considered an equivalent alternative to offline action by activists and nonactivists alike. However, the Internet may slightly alter the motives underlying collective action and thereby alter the nature of collective action and social movements. Perhaps more fundamental is the reverse influence that successful collective action will have on the nature and function of the Internet.
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (418)
- Online Panels; 2002; Reinhold, N., Batinic, B., Goeritz, A.
- Personality Assessment via Internet: Comparing Online and Paper-and-Pencil Questionnaires; 2002; Hertel, G., Naumann, S., Konradt, U., Batinic, B.
- Context Effects in Web-Surveys; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Theory and techniques of conducting Web experiments; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Privacy Perceptions and Online Practices; 2002; Viseu, A., Clement, A., Aspinall, J.
- Are refusing particpants different or what influence do have forced-choice-items on drop-out?; 2002; Voracek, M., Ponocny, I., Stieger, S.
- Online- and Touchscreensurveys: on Some Similarities of Computer-based Forms of Data Collection; 2002; Weichbold, M., Griessner, E. M.
- The Networked Nature of Community Online and Offline; 2002; Wellman, B., Boase, J., Chen, W.
- The Influence of Words, Symbols, Numbers, and Graphics on Answers to Self-Administered Questionnaires...; 2002; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Characteristics of Respondents to a Web Survey of the General Public; 2002; Tarnai, J., Thom, A.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Beyond Usability: Using the ''Webpage Interview'' to Explore Literary Practices; 2002; Attar, D.
- Internet Surveys: How Can they Contribute to Improve Traditional Survey Data and Administrative Databases...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- Web Fragmentation: A Network Analysis Approach; 2002; Koren, G., Kovacic, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences; 2002; Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Collaborative Approach to Web Access Analysis; 2002; Grobelnik, M., Mladenic, D.
- The implementation of an electronic survey tool to help determine the information needs of a knowledge...; 2002; Foo, S., Hepworth, M.
- Interpreting the new online advertising effectiveness measures. How new online brand effectiveness measures...; 2002; Hughes, G.
- Cross-media measurement. The new medium necessitates a new approach to an old problem; 2002; Briggs, R.
- Internet inclusive multi-media reach/frequency and optimization. Theories and techniques for an evolving...; 2002; Collins, J. H., Mallett, D. T.
- Forecasting reach, frequency and GRPs on the Internet; 2002; Chandler -Pepelnjak, J.
- The reach and frequency approach to advertising planning on the Internet; 2002; Coffey, S., Mazumdar, M.
- Online research alternatives. Choices, choices, but which one is best for me?; 2002; Klein, C., Lonnie, K.
- User-centric Internet measurement and its role in media planning; 2002; O’Connell, F.
- Site-centric measurement. Can traditional panels meet the new standard?; 2002; FitzGerald, J.
- Monitoring Internet audience measurement panels. Methodological issues and market trends; 2002; Haering, H.
- Computing unique user counts from server log files. Comparative analysis of varying methods; 2002; Bennett, R. P., Hanson, S. J., Guenther, S. A., Stone, M.
- Beyond demographic variables: Using psychographic research to narrate the story of Internet users; 2002; Dutta -Bergman, M. J.
- Virtual Selves and Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Couper, M. P., Vohar, M., Rivas, S., Vehovar, V.
- Do Mail and Web Surveys Provide Same Results?; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Measuring web-based service quality; 2002; Li, Y. N., Tan, K. C., Xie, M.
- The market for electronic newspapers in the Arab world; 2002; AlShehri, F., Gunter, B.
- Collective action in the age of the Internet: Mass communication and online mobilization; 2002; Brunsting, S., Postmes, T.
- Perceptual differences of marketing journals: A worldwide perspective; 2002; Theoharakis, V., Hirst, A.
- The feasibility of a Web-based surveillance system to collect health risk behavior data from college...; 2002; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M., Pigg Jr., R. M., Miller, D., Dorman, S. M.
- Research note: Online journalism in the low countries - Basic, occupational and professional characteristics...; 2002; Deuze, M., Paulussen, S.
- Do Web surveys really gain lower response rates than other survey modes? A meta-analysis; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- World in Figures: A Multilingual Internet Application for Statistical Data Dissemination with an Online...; 2002; Kuti, S., Vag, A.
- New Ways of Survey Data Collection: Touchscreens; 2002; Weichbold, M.
- A Comparison of Response Rate, Response Time, and Costs of Mail and Electronic Surveys; 2002; Shannon, D. M., Bradshaw, C. C.
- Describing response behavior in websurveys using client side paradata; 2002; Heerwegh, D.
- Learning the Web: Internet User Experience and Response to Web Marketing in Sweden; 2002; Dahlen, M.
- The Internet and knowledge gaps - A theoretical and empirical investigation; 2002; Bonfadelli, H.
- The Digital Divide, Individuals and Governance: Opportunities and Challenges; 2002; Reddick, A.
- Community Access and the Digital Divide: with Maritime Subtitles; 2002; Rideout, V.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- ICT and Business Performance in Italy; 2002; de Panizza, A., Nascia, L., Nurra, A., Oropallo, F., Riccardini, F.
- Information And Communication Technologies And E-Commerce In Basque Companies: A Statistical Approach...; 2002; Moran Alaez, E.
- The Digital Divide: Diffusion and use of ICTs; 2002; Montagnier, P., Muller, E., Vickery, G.