Web Survey Bibliography
Title Chronic prostatitis: Results of an Internet survey
Author Alexander, R. B., Trissel, D.
Source Urology, 48, 4, pp. 568-574
Access date 31.03.2004
Abstract Objectives. Chronic prostatitis is a common diagnosis, but the etiology of this disease is unknown. We sought to catalog symptoms and etiologic factors for chronic prostatitis to gather epidemiologic data about the disease. We also sought to determine the feasibility of doing this using the Internet. Methods. A 54-question survey was designed and posted to several Internet news groups dealing with chronic prostatitis. The questions dealt with symptoms, predisposing factors, demographic data, and sexual practices. Responses were collected by electronic mail and tabulated at a central site. Results. We received 163 completed surveys over a 2-month period. Nine percent of responses came from individuals outside the United States or Canada. Only 9.8% of completed surveys contained one or more unreadable answers. The responding population consisted of relatively young men (mean age 43 years) with a chronic, relapsing set of symptoms mostly characterized by pain at various locations in the pelvis, irritative voiding symptoms, and pain associated with ejaculation. Most respondents were potent and had a single sexual partner. Conclusions. This catalog of symptoms will be useful in the design of a standardized instrument to distinguish the population of men with prostatitis from normal men or men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. The facility of conducting patient surveys by Internet is demonstrated.
Access/Direct link ScienceDirect (full text)
Year of publication1996
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6374)
- An Online Data Web Site for Internet Research: Some Features and an Example; 2001; Robinson, J. P., Neustadtl, A., Kestnbaum, M.
- Proctor & Gamble Readies Online Market-Research Push; 2001; Heun, C. T.
- A critical exploration of face-to-face interviewing vs. computer-mediated interviewing; 2001; Curasi, C. F.
- Eureka! Future of b-to-b research is online; 2001; Lamons, B.
- Make the call: Online results are mixed bag; 2001; Miller, T. W.
- Defining the Benefits of Online Medical Market Research; 2001; Brody, J. K.
- The good, bad and unknown of Internet focus groups; 2001; Strempel, D.
- Medical internet ethics: a field in evolution; 2001; Dyer, K. A., Thompson, C. D.
- The Internet and opinion measurement: surveying marginalized populations; 2001; Koch, N. S., Emrey, J. A.
- Online Polling and Survey Research; 2001; Feld, K. G.
- Study invitations; 2001; Dalley, C.
- A Primer on Internet Organizational Surveys; 2001; Simsek, Z., Veiga, J. F.
- Targeting Audiences On The Internet; 2001; Cheyne, T. L., Ritter, F. E.
- Mail and Internet Surveys (Book Review); 2001; Faubion, C. W., Andrew, J. D.
- Web research -- the final frontier?; 2001; Wickham, S., Stewart, S.
- Implications of Internet Technology for Medical Sociology in the New Millennium; 2001; Cotten, S. R.
- Simple Surveys; 2001; Anonymous
- Post for Pay; 2001; Farmer, B. E.
- Ctchiropractic.com a useful site (with a few kinks); 2001; Campbell III, D.
- More Web Info; 2001; Quinn, M. L.
- A Free Web TV for Your Thoughts; 2001; Longstreth, A.
- Opinion Interview; 2001; Bond, M.
- The Virtual Consumer; 2001; Dahan, E., Hauser, J. R.
- Cyber-Mothers: Online Synchronous Interviewing using Conferencing Software; 2001; O' Connor, H., Madge, C.
- The Internet Matters: Exploring the Use of the Internet as a Research Tool; 2001; Illingworth, N.
- Internet users' adoption of Web retailing: user and product dimensions; 2001; Fenech, T., O'Cass, A.
- Online business education in the twenty-first century: an analysis of potential target markets; 2001; Evans, J. R., Haase, I. M.
- Combining Electronic and Traditional Survey Administration for a Competitive Advantage; 2001; Rosen, S., Cruzen, D., Waller, V.
- Market Research and the Evolution of Internet Services at Statistics Canada; 2001; Roy, D.
- Using Online Panels For Superb Feedback; 2001; Sharp, R.
- Channel 4 Website Development Case Study; 2001; Shaw, R.
- Technical and Legal Approaches to Unsolicited Electronic Mail; 2001; Sorkin, D. E.
- SuperCollect: a system for data capture using Internet; 2001; Stol, H. R.
- Measuring and Reporting Sources of Error in Surveys; 2001; Subcommittee on Measuring and Reporting the Quality of Survey Data. Federal Committee on Statistical...
- New data collection techniques. Hip or hype?; 2001; Tassabehji, R., King, R., Sudbury, M.
- Comparing Random Digit Dial Surveys With Web Surveys: The Case Of Health Care Consumers In California...; 2001; Berry, S., Zapert, K., Payne, S., Payne, L., Sanstad, K., Marcus, S., Spranca, M., Kan, H., Turner,...
- The Internet and the IMF Dissemination Standards Bulletin Board: Leveraging New Technology to Increase...; 2001; Carson, C. S., DiCalogero, R., McKee, J., Esfandiary, D. S.
- Estimating reliability and validity of measuring egocentric social networks; 2001; Kogovsek, T.
- Web versus Mail Questionnaire for an Institutional Survey; 2001; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V., Batagelj, Z.
- Quantifying and Correcting Unit Nonresponse-Errors in Online-Surveys; 2001; Lukawetz, G.
- Measuring The U.S. Digital Economy: Theory and Practice; 2001; Mesenbourg, T. L., Atrostic, B. K.
- The Measurement of Life Histories through the Internet; 2001; Sikkel, D.
- A spectrometer in the bedroom—the development and potential of internet-based experiments; 2001; Cartwright, H. M., Valentine, K.
- Response Differences from Internet-enabled Respondents in Surveys Fielded via Internet and via Mail; 2001; Park, J. M.
- Using web research technology to accelerate innovation; 2001; Pawle, J., Cooper, P.
- A Guide to Best Practice in Online Quantitative Research; 2001; Poynter, R.
- Eye-Movement Analysis: A New Tool for Evaluating the Design of Visually Administered Instruments (Paper...; 2001; Redline, C. D., Lankford, C. P.
- First Things First: Internet Relay Chat Openings; 2001; Rintel, E. S., Mulholland, J., Pittam, J.
- ThinkStream: A New Paradigm for Web Site Measurement; 2001; Rolph, J.
- e-Research: Gold Mine or Land Mine?; 2001; Nuffer, K. G.