Web Survey Bibliography
Title Chronic prostatitis: Results of an Internet survey
Author Alexander, R. B., Trissel, D.
Source Urology, 48, 4, pp. 568-574
Access date 31.03.2004
Abstract Objectives. Chronic prostatitis is a common diagnosis, but the etiology of this disease is unknown. We sought to catalog symptoms and etiologic factors for chronic prostatitis to gather epidemiologic data about the disease. We also sought to determine the feasibility of doing this using the Internet. Methods. A 54-question survey was designed and posted to several Internet news groups dealing with chronic prostatitis. The questions dealt with symptoms, predisposing factors, demographic data, and sexual practices. Responses were collected by electronic mail and tabulated at a central site. Results. We received 163 completed surveys over a 2-month period. Nine percent of responses came from individuals outside the United States or Canada. Only 9.8% of completed surveys contained one or more unreadable answers. The responding population consisted of relatively young men (mean age 43 years) with a chronic, relapsing set of symptoms mostly characterized by pain at various locations in the pelvis, irritative voiding symptoms, and pain associated with ejaculation. Most respondents were potent and had a single sexual partner. Conclusions. This catalog of symptoms will be useful in the design of a standardized instrument to distinguish the population of men with prostatitis from normal men or men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. The facility of conducting patient surveys by Internet is demonstrated.
Access/Direct link ScienceDirect (full text)
Year of publication1996
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Web Survey Bibliography (6359)
- World in Figures: A Multilingual Internet Application for Statistical Data Dissemination with an Online...; 2002; Kuti, S., Vag, A.
- New Ways of Survey Data Collection: Touchscreens; 2002; Weichbold, M.
- A Comparison of Response Rate, Response Time, and Costs of Mail and Electronic Surveys; 2002; Shannon, D. M., Bradshaw, C. C.
- Describing response behavior in websurveys using client side paradata; 2002; Heerwegh, D.
- Learning the Web: Internet User Experience and Response to Web Marketing in Sweden; 2002; Dahlen, M.
- The Internet and knowledge gaps - A theoretical and empirical investigation; 2002; Bonfadelli, H.
- The Digital Divide, Individuals and Governance: Opportunities and Challenges; 2002; Reddick, A.
- Community Access and the Digital Divide: with Maritime Subtitles; 2002; Rideout, V.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- ICT and Business Performance in Italy; 2002; de Panizza, A., Nascia, L., Nurra, A., Oropallo, F., Riccardini, F.
- Information And Communication Technologies And E-Commerce In Basque Companies: A Statistical Approach...; 2002; Moran Alaez, E.
- The Digital Divide: Diffusion and use of ICTs; 2002; Montagnier, P., Muller, E., Vickery, G.
- The EU surveys on ICT usage of enterprises; 2002; Deiss, R.
- Visual Design Effects in Web Surveys; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- The Use of Web-Based Surveys for Academic Research in the Field of Engineering; 2002; Roztocki, N., Morgan, S. D.
- Nonresponse Error and Mode Effects in Web-based Surveys; 2002; Dean, L.
- Incorporating Internet Surveys into Mixed-Mode Survey Designs; 2002; Tarnai, J.
- Cognitive processes in Web Surveys; 2002; Fuchs, M.
- Interactive Aspects of Web Surveys: Lack of Use, Ease of Use and User Models; 2002; Conrad, F. G.
- Does Propensity Score Weighting Work for Web Surveys?; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Weighting Issues in Web-Surveys; 2002; Varedian, M.
- Recruiting respondents for web surveys: random and other samples; 2002; Schonlau, M.
- The development and administration of a population based Multimedia Computer Assisted Self Interview...; 2002; Robinson, E. M., Watson, P. D., Clark, T. C., Ameratunga, S. N.
- Determinants of Web mode choice in a ''Web and paper'' survey in a high education population; 2002; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- Successful Recruitment for Online Access Panels; 2002; Goeritz, A.
- Building Relationships with Portal Users: The Interplay of Motivation and Relational Factors; 2002; Yoon, D., Cropp, F., Cameron, G.
- The Impact of the Internet on Society; 2002; Allin, P., Bowman, J., Cooper-Green, E. J., Randall, C.
- Can Adopters Narrow the Digital Divide? The Case of Greece; 2002; Leandros, N.
- Measuring the Digital Divide; 2002; Riccardini, F., Fazio, M.
- Proprietary market research: are online panels appropriate?; 2002; McDevitt, P. K., Small, M. H.
- Visual Analog Scales: Do they have a role in the measurement of preferences for health states?; 2001; Torrance, G. W., Feeny, D., Furlong, W.
- Trends in household survey nonresponse: A longitudinal and international comparison; 2001; de Leeuw, E. D., de Heer, W.
- The construction of attitudes; 2001; Schwarz, N., Bohnerd, G.
- Subscale distance and item clustering effects in self-administered surveys: A new metric; 2001; Bradlow, E. T., Fitzsimons, G. J.
- Sociability and usability in online communities: determining and measuring success; 2001; Preece, J.
- On the use of college students in social science research: Insights from a second‐order meta...; 2001; Peterson, R. A.
- Introduction to behavioral research on the internet; 2001; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Improving the measurement of quality of life in older people: the York SF-12; 2001; Iglesias, C. P., Birks, Y. F., Torgerson, D. J.
- Experiments on column width spacing in the University of Michigan Student Life Survey; 2001; Boyd, C. J., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Crawford, S. D.
- Building an alternative response process model for business surveys; 2001; Willimack, D. K., Nichols, E. M.
- Ethische Dimensionen der Online-Forschung; 2001; Dzeyk, W.
- Panel Bias from Attrition and Conditioning: A Case Study of the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2001; Clinton, J. D.
- Standards for Quality Assurance for Online Surveys; 2001
- Differential effects of Ecstasy and cannabis on self-reports of memory ability: a web-based study; 2001; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Ethical issues in qualitative research on internet communities; 2001; Eysenbach, G., Till, E. J.
- Web experiment on colour harmony principles applied to computer user interface design; 2001; Laugwitz, B.
- Knowledge acquisition, navigation and eye movements from text and hypertext; 2001; Naumann, A., Waniek, J., Krems, J. F.
- Stimulus delivery on the Web: What can be presented when calibration isn t possible; 2001; Krantz, J. H.
- Score Reliability in Webor Internet-Based Surveys: Unnumbered Graphic Rating Scales versus Likert-Type...; 2001; Cook, C., Heath, F., Thompson, R. L., Thompson, B.