Web Survey Bibliography
Title Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences
Author Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
Access date 02.04.2004
Abstract The topic of this presentation is web site audiences measurement. In the markets where web marketing and advertising budgets spent on the Net are large enough, methods similar to peoplemeters in case of TV measurements are usually used. IN such cases Internet users - panelists - have software applications installed on their computers that are monitoring Internet traffic from their computers. The data are sent to servers located at research organizations in real-time and so also analyzed. Alternative methods can also be used: (1) traditional surveys and (2) technological, mostly server based measurements. Both of them can be (and are widely) criticized. The reasons behind that are mostly low understanding of survey research and too high expectations that measurements are actually not needed since the Internet is highly track able. There are also known limitations of these ’traditional’ methods. Survey based methods have limitations because they are based on respondents memory what results that web pages with higher recognition (known brands) get higher scores, while non-branded or new sites get lower scores. On the other side, technical - server based methods have problems of users identifications, what is usually connected with cookie problems, multiple users on the same computer and firewall, proxy problems. In not so rich markets (small countries and countries with low purchasing power) there is not enough money on the market to run these sophisticated panel surveys. Therefore ’traditional’ methods, generally not well accepted by the Internet industry should be used. There is an additional phenomena present in Slovenia, web sites are mostly run by enthusiasts, mostly people from IT industry that even less familiar with survey research methods, media research methods in general, and therefore very suspicious. In April 2002 an alternative approach of measuring web site audiences was used for the first time. It combined technical measurement using so called ”pixels”, web surveys to get demographical and other respondents data, and parallel telephone control survey. All three methods of measurement were used together for the final results: 14-days reach estimates, demographical profiles of web pages evaluated and overlap among pages. The results are available in software application. The results with methodology explained in details (Slovenian) can be found at http://wwwsi.cati.si.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2002
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (421)
- Nonresponse in Web Surveys; 2002; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Zaletel, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Web-Surveys - An Appropriate Mode of Data-Collection for the Social Sciences?; 2002; Bandilla, W.
- Generalizability Issues in Internet-Based Survey Research: Implications for the Internet Addiction Controversy...; 2002; Bremer, J.
- Online Panels; 2002; Reinhold, N., Batinic, B., Goeritz, A.
- Personality Assessment via Internet: Comparing Online and Paper-and-Pencil Questionnaires; 2002; Hertel, G., Naumann, S., Konradt, U., Batinic, B.
- Context Effects in Web-Surveys; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Theory and techniques of conducting Web experiments; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Privacy Perceptions and Online Practices; 2002; Viseu, A., Clement, A., Aspinall, J.
- Are refusing particpants different or what influence do have forced-choice-items on drop-out?; 2002; Voracek, M., Ponocny, I., Stieger, S.
- Online- and Touchscreensurveys: on Some Similarities of Computer-based Forms of Data Collection; 2002; Weichbold, M., Griessner, E. M.
- The Networked Nature of Community Online and Offline; 2002; Wellman, B., Boase, J., Chen, W.
- The Influence of Words, Symbols, Numbers, and Graphics on Answers to Self-Administered Questionnaires...; 2002; Dillman, D. A., Christian, L. M.
- Online Research Methodology: Reflections and Speculations; 2002; Sheehan, K. B.
- Characteristics of Respondents to a Web Survey of the General Public; 2002; Tarnai, J., Thom, A.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- Beyond Usability: Using the ''Webpage Interview'' to Explore Literary Practices; 2002; Attar, D.
- Internet Surveys: How Can they Contribute to Improve Traditional Survey Data and Administrative Databases...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- Web Fragmentation: A Network Analysis Approach; 2002; Koren, G., Kovacic, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences; 2002; Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
- Collaborative Approach to Web Access Analysis; 2002; Grobelnik, M., Mladenic, D.
- The implementation of an electronic survey tool to help determine the information needs of a knowledge...; 2002; Foo, S., Hepworth, M.
- Interpreting the new online advertising effectiveness measures. How new online brand effectiveness measures...; 2002; Hughes, G.
- Cross-media measurement. The new medium necessitates a new approach to an old problem; 2002; Briggs, R.
- Internet inclusive multi-media reach/frequency and optimization. Theories and techniques for an evolving...; 2002; Collins, J. H., Mallett, D. T.
- Forecasting reach, frequency and GRPs on the Internet; 2002; Chandler -Pepelnjak, J.
- The reach and frequency approach to advertising planning on the Internet; 2002; Coffey, S., Mazumdar, M.
- Online research alternatives. Choices, choices, but which one is best for me?; 2002; Klein, C., Lonnie, K.
- User-centric Internet measurement and its role in media planning; 2002; O’Connell, F.
- Site-centric measurement. Can traditional panels meet the new standard?; 2002; FitzGerald, J.
- Monitoring Internet audience measurement panels. Methodological issues and market trends; 2002; Haering, H.
- Computing unique user counts from server log files. Comparative analysis of varying methods; 2002; Bennett, R. P., Hanson, S. J., Guenther, S. A., Stone, M.
- Beyond demographic variables: Using psychographic research to narrate the story of Internet users; 2002; Dutta -Bergman, M. J.
- Virtual Selves and Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Couper, M. P., Vohar, M., Rivas, S., Vehovar, V.
- Do Mail and Web Surveys Provide Same Results?; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Measuring web-based service quality; 2002; Li, Y. N., Tan, K. C., Xie, M.
- The market for electronic newspapers in the Arab world; 2002; AlShehri, F., Gunter, B.
- Collective action in the age of the Internet: Mass communication and online mobilization; 2002; Brunsting, S., Postmes, T.
- Perceptual differences of marketing journals: A worldwide perspective; 2002; Theoharakis, V., Hirst, A.
- The feasibility of a Web-based surveillance system to collect health risk behavior data from college...; 2002; Pealer, L. N., Weiler, R. M., Pigg Jr., R. M., Miller, D., Dorman, S. M.
- Research note: Online journalism in the low countries - Basic, occupational and professional characteristics...; 2002; Deuze, M., Paulussen, S.
- Do Web surveys really gain lower response rates than other survey modes? A meta-analysis; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- World in Figures: A Multilingual Internet Application for Statistical Data Dissemination with an Online...; 2002; Kuti, S., Vag, A.
- New Ways of Survey Data Collection: Touchscreens; 2002; Weichbold, M.
- A Comparison of Response Rate, Response Time, and Costs of Mail and Electronic Surveys; 2002; Shannon, D. M., Bradshaw, C. C.
- Describing response behavior in websurveys using client side paradata; 2002; Heerwegh, D.
- Learning the Web: Internet User Experience and Response to Web Marketing in Sweden; 2002; Dahlen, M.
- The Internet and knowledge gaps - A theoretical and empirical investigation; 2002; Bonfadelli, H.
- The Digital Divide, Individuals and Governance: Opportunities and Challenges; 2002; Reddick, A.
- Community Access and the Digital Divide: with Maritime Subtitles; 2002; Rideout, V.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.