Web Survey Bibliography
Title Alternative Approaches to Measure Web Site Audiences
Author Robinsak, M., Batagelj, Z.
Access date 02.04.2004
Abstract The topic of this presentation is web site audiences measurement. In the markets where web marketing and advertising budgets spent on the Net are large enough, methods similar to peoplemeters in case of TV measurements are usually used. IN such cases Internet users - panelists - have software applications installed on their computers that are monitoring Internet traffic from their computers. The data are sent to servers located at research organizations in real-time and so also analyzed. Alternative methods can also be used: (1) traditional surveys and (2) technological, mostly server based measurements. Both of them can be (and are widely) criticized. The reasons behind that are mostly low understanding of survey research and too high expectations that measurements are actually not needed since the Internet is highly track able. There are also known limitations of these ’traditional’ methods. Survey based methods have limitations because they are based on respondents memory what results that web pages with higher recognition (known brands) get higher scores, while non-branded or new sites get lower scores. On the other side, technical - server based methods have problems of users identifications, what is usually connected with cookie problems, multiple users on the same computer and firewall, proxy problems. In not so rich markets (small countries and countries with low purchasing power) there is not enough money on the market to run these sophisticated panel surveys. Therefore ’traditional’ methods, generally not well accepted by the Internet industry should be used. There is an additional phenomena present in Slovenia, web sites are mostly run by enthusiasts, mostly people from IT industry that even less familiar with survey research methods, media research methods in general, and therefore very suspicious. In April 2002 an alternative approach of measuring web site audiences was used for the first time. It combined technical measurement using so called ”pixels”, web surveys to get demographical and other respondents data, and parallel telephone control survey. All three methods of measurement were used together for the final results: 14-days reach estimates, demographical profiles of web pages evaluated and overlap among pages. The results are available in software application. The results with methodology explained in details (Slovenian) can be found at http://wwwsi.cati.si.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (799)
- Lottery Style Incentives and Response Rates to Online Surveys; 2009; Pearson, J., E., Krosnick, J. A.Levine, R. E.
- The Presentation of a Web Survey, Nonresponse and Measurement Error among Members of Web Panel; 2009; Tourangeau, R., Groves, R. M., Kennedy, C., Yan, T.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Comparison Study of Early Adopter Attitudes and Online Behavior in Probability and Non-Probability Web...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Osborn, L., Semans, K.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Ethical Considerations in the Use of Paradata in Web Surveys; 2009; Couper, M. P., Singer, E.
- The impact of forgiving wording and question context on social desirability bias in sensitive surveys...; 2009; Naher, A.- F., Krumpal, I.
- Interactive feedback can improve accuracy of responses in web surveys; 2009; Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Galesic, M.
- Increasing Confidence in Survey Estimates with Visual Analogue Scales; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D., Thomas, R. K.
- The influence of the field time on data quality in list-based Web surveys; 2009; Goeritz, A., Stieger, S.
- Individual Follow-up of the Target Population: the Plural Strategies of a Web Survey; 2009; Markou, E., de Cledat, B., Razafindratsima, N., Laurent, R., Issenhuth, P.
- Preference for Mobile Interview Surveys? Interplay of costs, errors and biases; 2009; Vehovar, V., Slavec, A.
- Asking Factual Knowledge Questions: Reliability in Web-Based, Passive Sampling Surveys ; 2009; Elo, K.
- If You Provide It, Will They Read It? Response Time Effects in a Choice Experiment; 2009; Vista, A. B., Rosenberger, R. S., Collins, A. R.
- Dynamic feedback in open-ended questions: Experiments on the visual design language of Web surveys; 2009; Fuchs, M.
- Effects of monetary incentives on participation in a two-wave online survey; 2009; Bandilla, W., Haas, I.
- Yes, VASs can! Increasing the accuracy of survey measurements with computerized visual analogue scales...; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- Improving the Design of Complex Matrix Questions; 2009; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R., Conrad, F. G.
- Relations between functionality and usability of Web survey software tools: An empirical evaluation; 2009; Berzelak, N., Lozar Manfreda, K.
- Donations to charity as incentives in online panels; 2009; Goeritz, A.; Hox, J.
- Reducing Measurement Error in Web Surveys; 2009; Couper, M. P.
- Collecting Customer Satisfaction Data With Web Surveys; 2009; Vuorensola, L.
- Visual Design Effects on Respondents’ Behavior in Web-Surveys; 2009; Greinöcker, A.
- Increasing the use of e-consultation in primary care: Results of an online survey among non-users of...; 2009; Nijland, N., van Gemert-Pijnen, J. E. W. C., Boer, H., Steehouder, M. F., Seydel, E. R.
- The use of online data-collection in financial services market measurement research : the FRS experience...; 2009; Cooke, M., Watkins, N.
- Using flash type questions – stroke of luck or curse for data quality?; 2009; Laufer, S., Klapproth, U., Noll, S.
- Pause Mechanism in Complex Online Surveys; 2009; Milewski, J.
- Sensitive Questions in Online Surveys: Experimental Results for the Randomized Response Technique (RRT...; 2009; Coutts, E., Jann, B.
- Response Formats in Cross-cultural Comparisons in Web-based Surveys; 2009; Thomas, R. K.l, Terhanian, G., Funke, F.
- Generic or Project-Specific Mail? – The Influence of Invitations on Response Behaviour in the...; 2009; Schroll, S.
- Distortion of demographics through technically induced dropout in restricted online surveys; 2009; Voracek, M., Stieger, S., Goeritz, A.
- WebEXEC: A Short Self-Report Measure of Executive Function Suitable for Administration via the Internet...; 2009; Buchanan, T., Heffernan, T. M., Parrott, A. C., Ling, J., Rodgers, J., Scholey, A. B.
- Does the seriousness check really sieve out datasets with bad data quality?; 2009; Stieger, S., Reips, U. -D.
- Don't know and no opinion responses in Web surveys; 2009; Mechling, J., Baker, R. P., Couper, M. P.
- Investigating the High Hurdle Technique; 2009; Frauendorfer, D., Reips, U. -D.
- Volumetric Forecast based on Online Access Panels; 2009; Rodenhausen, T., Drewes, F.
- SNB - Social Network Barometer; 2009; Drosdow, M., Geißler, H.
- Using Interactive Features to Motivate and Probe Responses to Open-Ended Questions; 2009; Christian, L. M., Oudejans, M.
- Payments via Paypal as an Incentive in Online Panels; 2009; Goeritz, A., Wolff, H.-G., Goldstein, D. G.
- Advertising Effects of Online Video Ads; 2009; Wolf, M., Schönfeldt, J.
- The impact of privacy concerns on data collection; 2009; Reips, U. -D., Joinson, A. N., Buchanan, T., Schofield Paine, C.
- Verbal Vs Visual Response Options: Reconciling Meanings Conveyed by a Computer Aided Visual Rating Scale...; 2009; Garland, P., Cape, P.
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates in Web Surveys and their Differential Effects on Sample Composition...; 2009; Haas, I., Bosnjak, M., Bandilla, W., P., Galesic, M.Couper, M. P.
- Increasing response rates in list based samples; 2009; Keusch, F., Kurz, H., Penzkofer, P.
- GPCP: A German Version of the Scale for Online Privacy Concern and Protection for Use on the Internet...; 2009; Oostlander, J., Reips, U. -D., Buchanan, T.
- Implementation of a reaction time tool for brand measurement at Swisscom; 2009; Paar, I., Urbahn, J.
- Comparing the results of Web surveys on volunteer versus probabilistically selected panels of participants...; 2009; Mirta, G.
- Panel Conditioning in Web Surveys: A Comparison between Trained and Fresh Respondents; 2009; Toepoel, V., Das, M., van Soest, A.
- Formatting Error with Visual Analogue Scales in Web Surveys; 2009; Funke, F., Reips, U. -D.
- The new IT environment for the Italian consumer price survey; 2009; Giannini, R., Polidoro, F., Sgamba, A. M., Silipo, M., Spagnuolo, F., Virgillito, A.