Web Survey Bibliography
Title An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys
Access date 21.04.1995
Abstract When designing a Web questionnaire, various HTML input elements can be used to register the respondent’s answers. Two of these input elements, radio-buttons and drop-down boxes, can be regarded as technically equivalent since they serve the same purpose: they both allow to select one answer from a list of response options. However, these input elements are dissimilar from each other in many respects and there is reason to believe that some people are less familiar with drop-down boxes. By means of two experiments, this study evaluates the effect of the two response formats on data quality. Lower data quality was expected in the drop-down boxes condition than in the radio-buttons condition. The data showed that a slight preference for radio-buttons might be justified, although both response formats have benefits and drawbacks. Consequently, the choice between these response formats is not self-evident and needs to be guided by other considerations such as sample composition and survey design.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (full text)
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - International Conference on Improving Surveys, 2002 (27)
- Feedback in web surveys; 2002; Hoogendoorn, A., Sikkel, D.
- Mode effects in a mail plus Internet designed census; 2002; Haraldsen, G., Dale, T., Dalheim, E., Stromme, H.
- Coverage Bias in RDD Sample Surveys due to Cellular Telephone-Only Households; 2002; Giesbrecht, L., Wright, R. A.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Web Surveys; 2002; Ezzati-Rice, T. M., Couper, M. P., Givens, J.
- Web based methodologies and techniques to monitor electronic resources use in university libraries; 2002; Civardi, M., Maffenini, W., Zavarrone, E.
- Improving Quality of Surveys; 2002; Marker, D.
- Mobile phone in sample surveys; 2002; Roy, G., Vanheuverzwyn, A.
- Effects of Mobile Phones on Telephone Survey Practice and Results; 2002; Kuusela, V., Simpanen, M.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Integrating paper and web instrument development to enhance efficiency and standardization; 2002; House, C. C.
- Composite Estimators for Complex Sampling; 2002; Nicolini, G., Presti, A. L.
- AESDirect. Internet Data Collection of U.S. Export Information; 2002; Horner, G. J.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Employing a mixed-mode qualitative research method prior to conducting quantitative research; 2002; Metzler, D. P., Davis, P. C.
- Evaluation of neural networks to detect suspicious answers in attitude and evaluation research; 2002; Martini, M. C.
- Web vs Mail Survey Response Rates: Comparisons for an High Education Population; 2002; Romano, M. F.
- An evaluation of the effect of response formats on data quality in Web surveys; 2002; Heerwegh, D., Loosveldt, G.
- Survey Design Features Influencing Response Rates in Web Surveys; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- List assisted Web surveys: quality, timeliness and nonresponse in the steps of the participation flow...; 2002; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Computer-assisted longitudinal surveys; 2002; Capiluppi, C.
- An Experiment on Computer-assisted Questionnaire Design for University Didactics Quality Measurement; 2002; Fabbris, L.
- Mail and Web Surveys: A Cost and Response Rate Comparison in a Study on Students Housing Conditions; 2002; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- Web-based Survey versus Conventional Survey. The Malaysian Experience in Conducting the Internet Subscriber...; 2002; Asha, R. P.
- New Technologies and Survey Data Collection: Challenges and Opportunities; 2002; Couper, M. P.
- The development and administration of a population based Multimedia Computer Assisted Self Interview...; 2002; Robinson, E. M., Watson, P. D., Clark, T. C., Ameratunga, S. N.
- Determinants of Web mode choice in a ''Web and paper'' survey in a high education population; 2002; Romano, M. F., Himmelmann, M.
- The Impact of Adding e-Interviewers To Web-Based Research; 2001; Feld, K. G.