Web Survey Bibliography
Title Paper and Pencil versus Web Survey. Measurement Effects and Mode Differences
Author Fuchs, M.
Access date 21.04.2004
Abstract So far, certain problems of web surveys have received great attention: coverage problems, sampling issues and response rates as well as screen design and usability issues. However, little insight is available regarding the cognitive processes at work in a respondent's mind when answering a survey question on the internet. We assume that the cognitive capacity available when answering a survey question is impaired by the respondent's navigational efforts when working though the questionnaire. Thus, working through an online survey reduces the respondent's attention for any given survey question. In order to assess the respondent's attention for the content of a survey questionnaire, we use the results of experiments on measurement effects: the larger the effects the greater the respondent's attention (otherwise the effects would not appear). In this talk we present results from a large scale field experiment (n = 5,000) on measurement error in mixed mode survey (p&p and online) among the German youth conducted in spring of 2001. In this survey, 6 experiments on measurement error were incorporated: 2 experiments on question order, 2 experiments on response categories, and 2 experiments on response order in long lists. The results suggest that measurement effects are generally smaller in the web portion of the survey.
Year of publication2002
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Psychological issues (234)
- A Comparison of Ranking versus Rating in Online Surveys; 2004; Thomas, R. K.
- Researching shyness: a contradiction in terms?; 2004; Scott, S.
- Attachment Style and Subjective Motivations for Sex; 2004; Davis, D., Shaver, P. R., Vernon, M. L.
- Examinig Variety in Organizational Behavior Research: Psychological Differences Between Respondents...; 2004; Mestdagh, S., Buelens, M.
- Internet-Based Experiments: Prospects and Possibilities for Behavioral Accounting Research; 2004; Bryant, S. M., Hunton, J. E., Stone, D. N.
- Psychological Research Online; 2004; Kraut, R., Olson, J., Banaji, M., Bruckman, A., Cohen, J., Couper, M. P.
- Human Research And Data Collection Via The Internet; 2004; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Psychological Testing on the Internet: New Problems, Old Issues; 2004; Naglieri, J. A., Drasgow, F., Schmit, M., Handler, L., Prifitera, A., Margolis, A., Velasquez, R.
- The antecedents of consumers' loyalty toward Internet Service Providers; 2004; Chiou, J. -S.
- The impact on interviewee behavior caused by audiovisual online-communication answering sensitive questions...; 2004; Muehlenfeld, H. -U.
- Are online-offline differences in personality test scores due to increased self-disclosure?; 2004; Buchanan, T., Joinson, A. N.
- Should We Trust Web-Based Studies? A Comparative Analysis of Six Preconceptions About Internet Questionnaires...; 2004; Gosling, S. D., Vazire, S., Srivastava, S., John, O. P.
- Survey Response Behavior Shirking in Internet and Telephone Surveys; 2003; VanBeselaere, C.
- Psychologische Forschung zum und im Internet; 2003; Reips, U. -D.
- Is the Applicability of Web-Based Surveys for Academic Research limited to the Field of Information...; 2003; Roztocki, N., Lahri, N. A.
- Patterns of Drug Use and the Influence of Gender on Self-Reports of Memory Ability in Ecstasy Users:...; 2003; Rodgers, J., Buchanan, T., Scholey, A. B., Heffernan, T. M., Ling, J., Parrott, A. C.
- Internet Use and Misuse: Preliminary Findings from a New Assessment Instrument; 2003; Rotunda, R. J., Kass, S. J., Sutton, M. A., Leon, D. T.
- Show Your Real Face: A Fan Study of the UK Big Brother Transmissions (2000, 2001, 2002). Investigating...; 2003; Jones, J. M.
- Express: A Web-based technology to support human and computational experimentation; 2003; Yule, P., Cooper, R.P.
- The Use of the Internet in Psychological Research: Comparison of Online and Offline Questionnaires; 2003; Riva, R., Teruzzi, T., Anolli, L.
- Internet-based Questionnaire Assessment: Appropriate Use in Clinical Contexts; 2003; Buchanan, T.
- Digital Makeover; 2003; Sloane, J.
- Survey tools take employees' pulse instantly; 2003; Gunsauley, C.
- Internet Research: An Opportunity to Revisit Classic Ethical Problems in Behavioral Research; 2003; Pittenger, D. J.
- Presenting and Monitoring a Gender-Defined Self on the Internet; 2003; Samp, J. A., Wittenberg, E. M., Gillett, D. L.
- Best practices in employee surveying: A practitioner's perspective; 2003; Jepsen, D. M., Langford, P.
- Waiting online: a review and research agenda; 2003; Ryan, G., Valverde, M.
- A Comparison of the Psychometric Qualities of Surveys Administered by Web and Traditional Methods; 2003; Mertler, C. A., Earley, M. A.
- Validating Internet research: A test of the psychometric equivalence of Internet and in-person samples...; 2003; Meyerson, P., Tryon, W. W.
- Web-based research: Methodological variables' effects on dropout and sample characteristics; 2003; O'Neil, K. M., Penrod, S. D., Bornstein, B. H.
- Open-ended vs. Close-ended Questions in Web Questionnaires; 2003; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Submit, Resist, or Subvert?: Organization Members’ Responses to Electronic Surveillance; 2003; Coopman, S., Watkins Allen, M., Hart, J.
- An empirical study on the adoption of information appliances with a focus on interactive TV; 2003; Choi, H., Choi, M., Kim, J., Yu, H.
- Humanizing self-administered surveys: experiments on social presence in web and IVR surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Stegier, D.M.Steiger, D. M.; de Rouvray, C.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys With Physicians, What Works and What Doesn't Work; 2003; Schneiderman, M., Thran, S., Adams, C., Lerner, B.
- Psychological Research Online: Opportunities and Challenges; 2003; Kraut, R., Olson, J., Banaji, M., Bruckman, A., Cohen, J., Couper, M. P.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- Online longitudinal survey research. Validity and participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N. A.
- E-Research: Ethics, security, design, and control in psychological research on the Internet; 2002; Banaji, M., Greenwald, A., Nosek, B.
- July 2002 Status of Forces Survey of Active-Duty Members: Tabulations of Responses; 2002
- Web-based data collection: Ethical and practical considerations; 2002; Sedivy, S. K., Brondino, M. J.
- Standards for Internet-Based Experimenting; 2002; Reips, U. -D.
- Rape Myth Acceptance and Judgments of Vulnerability to Sexual Assault: An Internet Experiment; 2002; Bohner, G., Danner, U. N., Siebler, F., Samson, G. B.
- Measuring Differences in Preactivation on the Internet: The Content Category Superiority Effect; 2002; Eichstaedt, J.
- Internet Experts' Planning of Explanations for Laypersons: A Web Experimental Approach in the Internet...; 2002; Nueckles, M., Bromme, R.
- Time Measurement And Pre-testing In On-line-Questionnaires; 2002; Mueller, J., Reimer, M.
- Using the Internet for Organizational Research: A Study of Cynicism in the Workplace; 2002; Eaton, M. A. J., Struthers, C. V.
- Internet-based Survey Research in the U.S. Navy; 2002; Olmsted, M. G.
- Attitudes of Business Faculty Towards Two Methods of Collecting Teaching Evaluations: Paper vs. Online...; 2002; Dommeyer, C. J., Baum, P., Chapman, K.S., Hanna, R.W.
- Network ethnography and the hypermedia organization: new media, new organizations, new methods; 2002; Howard, P. N.