Web Survey Bibliography
Title Monitoring the Online Media World
Author Comley, P.
Source Virtual Surveys Limited
Access date 21.04.2004
Abstract The methods by which websites have been monitored have been continually evolving and are at last beginning to resemble those used by market research in other areas of media. In the initial days of websites (3-5 years ago!), their success was measured in terms of their "hits". This was a much abuse term and resulted in greatly exaggerated perceptions of the popularity of websites. In theory, a "hit" was supposed to measure the number of people looking at a web page or site. However in practice, a hit is generated every time a person loads even the smallest element of a page such a small bullet or a piece of footer text. This could mean that "hit" figures for websites could sometimes imply websites were being visited by maybe 10 times as many people as actually did - a very handy statistic if you were a dot.com seeking extra finance!
Access/Direct link Homepage - magazine (full text)
Bibliographic typeMagazine article
Year of publication2001
Web Survey Bibliography - Online measurement (986)
- Online survey research: Findings, Best practices, and future research; 2011
- Knowledge Networks answers to ESOMAR's "25 Questions to Help Research Buyers"; 2011
- In search of a new approach to measure newspaper audiences in Canada: The journey continues; 2011; Crassweller, A., Rogers, J., Graves, F., Gauthier, E., Charlebois, O.
- GRE® program announces big benefits and big savings for GRE® test takers worldwide; 2011
- Google and Kantar develop measurement panel; 2011
- Going online with assessment; 2011; Burke, E. et al.
- Exploring the digital nation. Computer and Internet use at home; 2011
- Survey Data Quality Provisions in Statistics Canada E-Questionnaire Solution: Retrospective and Perspectives...; 2011; Abiza, Y.
- Developing Electronic Questionnaire Guidelines: Issues and Challenges in a Changing Environment; 2011; Cote, A.-M., Kelly, P., Lawrence, D.
- Triton: a general tool for data collection and micro editing; 2011; Erikson, J.
- A Generalized System for Aided Development and Monitoring of Web Surveys; 2011; Torelli, R.
- Ethical issues in Internet research; 2011; Hoerger, M., Currell, C.
- Using survey data collection as a tool for improving the survey process; 2011; Biffignandi, S., Perani, G., Laureti, A.
- ESOMAR AND CASRO submission to the W3C tracking protection working group - Market research techniques...; 2011
- The benefits and constraints of e-mail interviews and discussions as methods of accessing valid data; 2011; Roberts, A.
- “You are Invited to Participate”: Challenges of Applying Mixed Survey Methods to Assess...; 2011; Chew, F.
- Catch Them When You Can: Speeders and Their Role in Online Data Quality; 2011; Gutierrez, C., Wells, T., Rao, K., Kurzynski, D.
- Effects of Post-Incentives on Response Rates, Costs, and Response Quality in a Web Survey of College...; 2011; Stevenson, J., Dykema, J., Cyffka, K., Klein, L., Goldrick-Rab, S.
- Observed Differences in the Placement and Wording of Neutral Response Options in Web Surveys: An Experiment...; 2011; Walton, L., Cobb, C. L., DiSogra, C.
- Mixed Methods - Analyzing Open-Ended Comments in a Quantitative Employee Survey; 2011; Lawton, L., Broege, N.
- Causes of survey incompletes: Why panelists say they abandon surveys; 2011; Henning, J.
- Beyond data stability: Rising above quality concerns; 2011
- Clarifying Survey Questions; 2011; Redline, C. D.
- The place for mobile research? Multi-mode studies of major cultural events; 2011; Conry, S., Atkinson, S.
- How far is too far: Traditional, flash and gamification interfaces, and implications for the future...; 2011; Puleston, J., Malinoff, B.
- The Evolution of Edits in the Canadian Census of Population Online Questionnaires; 2011; Laroche, D.
- The Main Innovations of Data Editing and Imputation for the 2010 Italian Agricultural Census ; 2011; Bianchi, G., Lipsi, R. M., Ruocco, G., Salvatore, M. A.
- Wages worldwide results and measurement issues from the multi-country. WageIndicator web-survey ; 2011; van Klaveren, M., Tijdens, K.
- A Methodological Inference towards the Quantification of Technological Frames ; 2011; Cachia, E., Camilleri, P.
- 2nd WEBDATANET Meeting Amsterdam. Global Data Collecting; 2011; van Beveren, I.
- DIME-SHS; 2011; Lesnard, L.
- Calibrating Non-Probability Internet Samples with Probability Samples Using Early Adopter Characteristics...; 2011; DiSogra, C., Cobb, C. L., Chan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Web Survey Methodology: Interface Design, Sampling and Statistical Inference; 2011; Couper, M. P.
- Dropout rates during completion of an occupation search tree in web-surveys; 2011; Tijdens, K.
- Ignoring the compatibility of online questionnaires may bias the psychological composition of your sample...; 2011; Funke, F.
- New data sources for statistics: Experiences at Statistics Netherlands; 2011; Daas, P., ten Bosch, O., de Blois, C., Hoekstra, R., Roos, M.
- Further research on the design of complex grids; 2011; Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.Conrad, F. G., Zhang, C.
- Interactive carrots and sticks to improve data quality; 2011; Conrad, F. G., Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Zhang, C.
- Optimum Blending of Panels and Social Network Respondents; 2011; Gittelman, S. H., Portner, A.
- Making the move to mobile Apps-based research: A case study in the evaluation and implementation of...; 2011; Graham, P., Conry, S.
- Once a 'Bad' Respondent, Always a 'Bad' Respondent - How to Identify and Exclude '...; 2011; Suresh, N.
- Dealing with the Effects of Panelist Experience; 2011; Burdein, I.
- Results from Real-Time Data Collection (RTD) vs. Data from Traditional Panelists: Is it valid to combine...; 2011; Pingitore, G., Witten, S., Walker, A., Seldin, D., Ellrodt, R., Muns, N., Parks, C., Serrato, C.
- Widening the Net: A Comparison of Online Intercept and Access Panel Sampling; 2011; Bakken, D. G., Nawani, R.
- Does choice of vendor make a difference in respondent validation and how does it impact the overall...; 2011; Courtright, M., Miller, C.
- Probably the Best Bias in the World?; 2011; Dent, T.
- The development of the KubeMatrix™ as a mobile app for Market Research Online Communities; 2011; Birks, D. F., Wilson, D.
- The Research-Data-Centre in Research-Data-Centre Approach: A First Step Towards Decentralised International...; 2011; Bender, S., Heining, J.
- First Equals Most Important? Order Effects in Vignette- Based Measurement; 2011; Auspurg, K., Jaeckle, A.
- Using Online Surveys to Conduct Jury Research; 2011; Edelman, B.