Web Survey Bibliography
Title The Promises and Perils of Web Surveys
Author Couper, M. P.
Source Westlake, A. et al. (Eds.): The Challenge of the Internet. Proceedings from the 'The Challenge of the Internet' conference, organized by Association for Survey Computing, 2001
Access date 21.04.2004
Presentation ppt (1250k)
Abstract This paper will present an overview of key issues related to Web surveys. Various types of Web surveys will be classified and compared within a total survey error framework, focusing on sampling, coverage, non-response and measurement error issues. The goal of the review is to separate the rhetoric both for and against Web surveys from the objective criteria that can be used to evaluate the efficacy of a particular approach relative to alternative methods of surveys data collection. Empirical evidence will be brought to bear to better understand the potential uses and possible dangers of Web surveys. Web surveys are indeed an exciting new weapon in the survey researcher’s arsenal, but there is much we need to learn about how to make effective use of this method.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (full text)
Bibliographic typeConference proceedings
Year of publication2001
Web Survey Bibliography - 2001 (350)
- Developing Indicators for the New Digital Economy: Measuritng Internet Electronic Commerce; 2001; Weerahandi, S.
- E-mail surveys: Non-response figures reflected; 2001; Welker, M.
- Can the online community really be surveyed and analysed as if it was its offline counterpart? Site...; 2001; White, C.
- Implementation and Results of the Internet Response Mode for Census 2000; 2001; Whitworth, E.
- Evaluating Nonresponse in a Web-Enabled Survey on Health and Aging; 2001; Wiebe, E. F., Eyerman, J., Loft, J. D.
- Combining Online Research And Traditional Research; 2001; Wilde, P.
- Web surveys: The questionnaire design challenge; 2001; Couper, M. P.
- Web Survey Research: Challenges and Opportunities; 2001; Couper, M. P.
- Monitoring the Online Media World; 2001; Comley, P.
- Online Market Research For Accurate Website Evaluation And Development; 2001; Comley, P.
- The Promises and Perils of Web Surveys; 2001; Couper, M. P.
- A Web-Based Program of Research on Decision Making; 2001; Birnbaum, M. H.
- Understanding Unit-Nonresponse in Web-based Surveys; 2001; Bosnjak, M., Tuten, T. L.
- The Website Assignment as a Valuable Exercise - Beyond Establishing Presence to Creating Significance...; 2001; Bunz, U.
- The record of internet-based opinion polls in predicting the results of 72 races in the November 2000...; 2001; Taylor, H., Bremer, J., Overmeyer, C., Siegel, J.W., Terhanian, G.
- Touchdown! Online polling scores big in November 2000; 2001; Terhanian, G., Bremer, J., Overmeyer, C., Siegel, J.W., Taylor, H.
- Using Internet polling to forecast the 2000 elections; 2001; Terhanian, G., Taylor, H., Bremer, J., Overmeyer, C., Siegel, J.W.
- Exploiting analytical advances. Minimizing the biases associated with Internet-based surveys of non-...; 2001; Terhanian, G., Thomas, R. K., Bremer, J., Smith, R.
- How To Ensure the Accuracy Of Internet Research; 2001; Terhanian, G.
- Reducing Error Associated with Non-Probability Sampling through Propensity Scores: Evidence from Election...; 2001; Terhanian, G., Marcus, S., Bremer, J., Smith, R.
- The Accuracy of Harris Interactive's Pre-Election Polls of 2000; 2001; Terhanian, G., Taylor, H., Bremer, J., Siegel, J.W., Smith, R.
- Employing Online Market Research To Acquire, Retain And Grow Customers; 2001; Stone, W. K., Thomas, J. E.
- Incentives in Internet Surveys; 2001; Tortora, R. D.
- Everything You Need To Know About Online Data Collection Regulations; 2001; Ustaran, E.
- Virtual Selves and Web Surveys; 2001; Lozar Manfreda, K., Couper, M. P., Vohar, M., Rivas, S., Vehovar, V.
- A Case Study of WWW Online Survey Development and Testing; 2001; Andrews, D.
- An Open Data Model for the MR Industry: The Challenge and the Promise; 2001; Andrews, P.
- IT Diffusion in Swedish organisations from an institutional-evolutionary perspective: Results from a...; 2001; Sandberg, M.
- Ethics of Internet Research: Contesting the Human Subjects Research Model; 2001; Bassett, E. H., O'Riordan, K.
- Studying the Amateur Artist: A Perspective on Disguising Data Collected in Human Subjects Research on...; 2001; Bruckman, A.
- Research Ethics in Internet-Enabled Research: Human Subjects Issues and Methodological Myopia; 2001; Walther, J. B.
- What is special about the ethical issues in online research?; 2001; Elgesem, D.
- Ethical Issues of Online Communication Research; 2001; Capurro, R., Pingel, C.
- Do Different Response Formats Change the Latent Structure of Responses? An Empirical Investigation Using...; 2001; Arnau, R. C., Thompson, R. L., Cook, C.
- Affective dimensions of Internet culture; 2001; King, A. B.
- Assessing the use of Internet surveys in the context of advertisement tracking studies: a case study...; 2001; Dossa, K. B., Williams, P.
- The potential and use of electronic mail technology for conducting surveys in South Africa: a case study...; 2001; Armour, R. J., Viljoen, M. F., Nell, W. T.
- Online tools for public participation; 2001; Al-Kodmany, K.
- Consumer privacy and online marketing: Bringing the human back into the picture; 2001; Brooks, L., Airey, A.
- Gender and the Internet: Women communicating and men searching; 2001; Jackson, L. A., Ervin, K. S., Gardner, P. D., Schmitt, N.
- Statistical significance, effect size, and replication: What do the journals say?; 2001; de Vaney, T. A.
- Building Usability into Electronic Data-Collection Forms for Economic Censuses and Surveys; 2001; Harley, M. D., Pressley, K. D., Anderson, A. E., Nichols, E. M., Murphy, E. D.
- Are Representative Internet Surveys Possible?; 2001; Smith, T. W.
- On-line market research; 2001; Miller, T. W., Dickson, P. R.
- Comparing respondents of e-mail and mail surveys: understanding the implications of technology; 2001; Ranchhod, A., Zhou, F.
- Representations or People; 2001; White, M.
- Social presence in Web surveys; 2001; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Steiger, D. M.
- Creating an Internet research panel in countries with low penetration. The case of Mexico; 2001; Barberena, M. A., Labastida, G.
- Probability Based Internet Surveys: A Synopsis of Early Methods and Survey Research Results; 2001; Huggins, V. J.
- Recent Developments in Electronic Data Collection at the U.S. Census Bureau; 2001; Sedivi Gaul, B.