Web Survey Bibliography
Title Response Timing and Coverage of Non-Internet Households in an Internet-Enabled Panel
Author Dennis, J. M.
Access date 22.04.2004
Abstract From a respondent’s perspective, an Internet-Enabled Panel based on RDD sampling would appear to have several advantages. This paper assesses whether two of these purported advantages translate into better survey data. The first advantage is that Panel Members choose when to complete surveys, in contrast to a CATI system dictating the timing in most telephone surveys. The second one is a function of coverage: non-internet households, as well as internet households, are recruited and equipped to have internet access. Some basic questions will be answered on the volume, demographic correlates, and substantive differences resulting from survey participation outside the industry’s telephone calling window (usually 9am-9pm respondent local time) and from the participation of non-internet households. In addition, evidence will be presented on the impact of field period length on substantive study results. Finally, the question will be addressed of convergence, that is, whether non-Internet households are assimilated over the course of Panel Membership into responding like internet households (e.g., on attitudinal measures). The data for this study are from extensive profiling and internet-based surveys conducted on a broad range of commercial and public opinion topics at Knowledge Networks over the past year.
Abstract - optional
Year of publication2001
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Dennis, J. M. (44)
- An experimental investigation of the effects of noncontingent and contingent incentives in recruiting...; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Peugh, J., Charlebois, O., Murakami...
- Using Probability-based On-line Samples to Calibrate Non-probability Opt-in Samples; 2012; DiSogra, C., Cobb, C. L., Chan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Experimenting with Noncontingent and Contingent Incentives in a Media Measurement Panel; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E.
- Investigating Nonresponse Bias in a Nonresponse Bias Study; 2012; Lavrakas, P. J., Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Shand-Lubbers, J., Lee, E., Charlebois, O.
- Calibrating Non-Probability Internet Samples with Probability Samples Using Early Adopter Characteristics...; 2011; DiSogra, C., Cobb, C. L., Chan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Examination of Panel Conditioning Effects in a Web-Based 2007-2008 Election Study.; 2011; Dennis, J. M., Kruse, Y., Tompson, T.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- KnowledgePanel®: Processes & Procedures Contributing to Sample Representativeness & Tests for Self...; 2010; Dennis, J. M.
- Does Providing Internet Access to Non-Internet Households Affect Reported Media Behavior for Latinos...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., DiSogra, C.
- Using KnowledgePanel® to Improve the Sample Representativeness and Accuracy of Opt-in Panel Data...; 2010; Dennis, J. M., Peugh, J., Graham, P.
- Analysis of Late Responders to Probability-Based Web Panel Recruitment and Panel Surveys; 2010; Kruse, Y., DiSogra, C., Hendarwan, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election: New Opportunities for Causal Analysis of Dynamic Change in the...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Producing Straightlining and Item Non-Differentiation in a Web Survey: How Visual Design Plays a Role...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Patterns of response and non-response on an election day survey; 2009; Tompson, T., Dennis, J. M., Subias, S.
- The impact of news reports of survey findings on respondents in a longitudinal panel study; 2009; Tompson, T., Dennis, J. M., Kruse, Y.
- Panel Conditioning and Attrition in the AP-Yahoo! News Election Panel Study; 2009; Kruse, Y., Callegaro, M., Dennis, J. M., DiSogra, C., Subias, S., Lawrence, M., Tompson, T.
- The Challenge and Importance of Including Spanish-Dominant Latinos in an Online Panel; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Wells, T., Torres, J.
- Web Panel Studies of the 2008 Election; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Tompson, T.
- Comparison Study of Early Adopter Attitudes and Online Behavior in Probability and Non-Probability Web...; 2009; Dennis, J. M., Osborn, L., Semans, K.
- Description of Within-Panel Survey Sampling Methodology: The Knowledge Networks Approach; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Summary of KnowledgePanel® Design; 2009; Dennis, J. M.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- A comparison of results from an alcohol survey of a prerecruited Internet panel and the National Epidemiologic...; 2008; Heeren, T., Edwards, E., Dennis, J. M., Rodkin, S., Hingson, R. W., Rosenbloom D. L.
- Mode Effects on In-Person and Internet Surveys: A Comparison of the General Social Survey and Knowledge...; 2008; Smith, T. W., Dennis, J. M.
- Key Issues in Research Accuracy: Sources of bias and error in online research; 2008; Dennis, J. M., Callegaro, M.
- Making Quality Real: Delivering on a Promise of the Best Service and Online Survey Sample ; 2008; Dennis, J. M.
- More honest answers to surveys? A Study of data collection mode effects; 2007; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J.
- Internet vs. Telephone; Examining Mode Effects in Alcohol Research; 2007; Rodkin, S., Heeren, T., Edwards, E., Dennis, J. M.
- Face-to-Face Recruitment of an Internet Survey Panel: Lessons from an NSF-Sponsored Demonstration Protect...; 2007; O'Muircheartaigh, C., Krosnick, J. A., Dennis, J. M.
- Results of a Within-Panel Web Survey Experiment of Mode Effects: Using the General Social Survey's National...; 2007; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in a Panel Study: Telephone versus Internet...; 2005; Dennis, J. M., Chatt, C.Li, R. J.; de Rouvray, C.Pulliam, P.; de Rouvray, C.
- Benchmarking Knowledge Networks’ Web-enabled panel survey of selected GSS questions against GSS...; 2004; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Chatt, C.
- Methodology for Probability-Based Recruitment for a Web-Enabled Panel; 2004; Pineau, V., Dennis, J. M.
- The Effects of Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit...; 2004; Cameron, T. A., de Shazo, J. R., Dennis, J. M., Lee, R. J.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in an Internet Panel Survey; 2004; Dennis, J. M., Chatt, C.
- An Overview of Capabilities and Methodological Research Conducted by the Government and Academic Area...; 2004; Dennis, J. M.
- Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit Dialing Sampling...; 2003; Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., de Shazo, J. R., Cameron, T. A.
- Data Collection Mode Effects Controlling for Sample Origins in a Panel Survey: Telephone versus Internet...; 2003; Chatt, C., Dennis, J. M., Li, R. J., Motta-Stanko A., Pulliam, P.
- An Evaluation of Nonresponse Bias in Internet Surveys Conducted Using the Knowledge Networks Panel; 2002; Seryakova, K., Dennis, J. M., Huggins, V. J.
- Using the Multimedia Capabilities of Web-Enabled Probability-Based Survey Methodology to Gather Vaccination...; 2002; McCready, W. C., Dennis, J. M., Thalji, L.
- Probability-Based Survey Research on the Internet; 2001; Krotki, K., Dennis, J. M.
- Response Timing and Coverage of Non-Internet Households in an Internet-Enabled Panel; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Are Internet Panels Creating Professional Respondents? A Study of Panel Effects.; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Questionnaire design for probability-based Web surveys; 2000; Dennis, J. M., de Rouvray, C., Couper, M. P.