Web Survey Bibliography
Title Navigation Patterns in Web Surveys
Author Ramirez, C. M.
Access date 04.05.2004
Abstract Respondent navigation through web surveys has emerged as an important design consideration. Log files from four web surveys conducted by the U.S. GAO in 2000 and 2001 are analyzed to detect common patterns of navigation through multi-page web surveys. It was hypothesized that some respondents attempt to gauge the length and content of self-administered surveys before deciding to participate. We expected to see many respondents moving quickly through some or all pages of a questionnaire, without answering individual items, before returning to the first page of the questionnaire to begin responding. While this pattern was observed to some extent, other variations in navigational patterns were more common. Navigational behavior of web survey respondents has important ramifications for questionnaire layout, choice of navigational tools, instructions, and information (such as progress indicators) provided to respondents during a survey. If participants confronted with certain survey tasks routinely exhibit navigational behaviors such as jumping back and forth between widely separated questions to ensure consistency with earlier answers, or if they preview the entire questionnaire before responding, survey designers would do well to accommodate those behaviors. The paper also uses the log files to make observations about patterns of abandonment, and concludes by briefly reviewing some findings from usability testing in other computerized self-administered modes, such as audio-CASI, to note similarities and differences.
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2002
Web Survey Bibliography - 2002 (421)
- Response rate, speed, and completeness: A comparison of Internet-based and mail surveys; 2002; Truell, A. D., Bartlett, J. E., Alexander, M. W.
- From Mail to Web: Improving Response Rates and Data Collection Efficiencies; 2002; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Couper, M. P., Boyd, C. J.
- Integrating paper and web instrument development to enhance efficiency and standardization; 2002; House, C. C.
- Composite Estimators for Complex Sampling; 2002; Nicolini, G., Presti, A. L.
- AESDirect. Internet Data Collection of U.S. Export Information; 2002; Horner, G. J.
- A Comparison Between Mail and Web Surveys: Response Pattern, Respondent Profile, and Data Quality; 2002; Kwak, N., Radler, B.T.
- Beyond logs and surveys: In-depth measures of people's Web use skills; 2002; Hargittai, E.
- Problems Confronting Japanese Marketing Research Industry: Report of Attitude Study Findings from Research...; 2002; Kobayashi, K.
- Have Telephone Surveys a Future in the 21-th century?; 2002; de Leeuw, E. D., Lepkowski, J. M., Kim, S. -W.
- Employing a mixed-mode qualitative research method prior to conducting quantitative research; 2002; Metzler, D. P., Davis, P. C.
- Evaluation of neural networks to detect suspicious answers in attitude and evaluation research; 2002; Martini, M. C.
- Design of Web Survey Questionnaires: Three Basic Experiments; 2002; Lozar Manfreda, K., Batagelj, Z., Vehovar, V.
- Do it yourself, Web-style; 2002; Glowa, T.
- Using phone methods in a digital age; 2002; Fitzgerald, A.
- Designing a Strategy for Reducing "No Opinion" Responses in Web-Based Surveys; 2002; de Rouvray, C., Couper, M. P.
- Characteristics of the Discussion in Online and Face-to-Face Focus Groups; 2002; Schneider, S. J., Kerwin, J., Frechtling, J., Vivari, B. A.
- Get your conjoint online, in several flavors; 2002; Deal, K.
- Think before you dial; 2002; Gillin, D. L.
- Developing and validating an instrument for measuring user-perceived web quality; 2002; Aladwani, A. M., Palvia, P. C.
- Post-industrial transformations and cyber-space: a cross-national analysis of Internet development; 2002; Robison, K. K., Crenshaw, E. M.
- Calling all customers; 2002; Long, J., Whinston, A. B., Tomak, K.
- Citizen Surveys on the Web: General Population Surveys of Community Opinion; 2002; Miller, T. I., Miller Kobayashi, M., Caldwell, E., Thurston, S., Collett, B.
- Methods of Internet data collection and implications for recruiting respondents; 2002; Roos, M.
- Online, but on target? Internet-based MBA courses; 2002; McGorry, S. Y.
- An Internet survey for perceptions of computers and the World Wide Web: relationship, prediction, and...; 2002; Shu Shenga, L.
- Social Networks of Intensive Internet Users; 2002; Hlebec, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V.
- Attitudes toward Internet Privacy: Slovenian Internet users's view; 2002; Kovacic, M., Vehovar, V.
- A Comparison of Quality in Open-end Responses and Response Rates Between Web-based and Paper and Pencil...; 2002; MacElroy, B., Mikucki, J., McDowell, P.
- Use of Pre-incentives in an Internet Survey; 2002; Downes-Le Guin, T., Janowitz, P., Stone, R., Khorram, S.
- Internet loyalty programs: Lessons learned for Internet-based development research; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Khubani, A., Stanley, J.
- Establishing data validity in conjoint: Experiences with Internet-based ‘mega-studies’; 2002; Moskowitz, H., Moskowitz, J., Beckley, J., Mascuch, T., Adams, J., Sendros, A., Keeling, C.
- Personality research on the Internet: A comparison of Web-based and traditional instruments in take-...; 2002; Cronk, B. C., West, J. L.
- SurveyMonkey.com - Web-Based Survey and Evaluation System: http://www.SurveyMonkey.com; 2002; Gordon, A.
- Innovations in Survey Research: An Application of Web-Based Surveys; 2002; Sills, S.J., Song, C.
- Online survey techniques: Current issues and future trends; 2002; Comley, P.
- Online Longitudinal Survey Research: Viability and Participation; 2002; Hiskey, S., Troop, N.A.
- Online Surveys and Internet Research; 2002; Comley, P.
- Work-life balance among Croatian employees: role time commitment, work-home interference and well-being...; 2002; Sverko, B.B., Araasic, L., Galesic, M.
- BOOK REVIEW: Internet communications and qualitative research: A hand-book for research online; 2002; Dowling, Z.
- Data collection through web-based technology; 2002; Swartz, R.W., Hancock, C.
- Print versus electronic surveys: a comparison of two data collection methodologies; 2002; Boyer, K. K., Olson, J., Calantone, R. J., Jackson, E. C.
- Online Data Collection; 2002; Topp, N.W., Pawloski, B.
- PRESTO: Combining Internet survey methodologies with a student panel; 2002; Prince, K., Woodley, A., Joinson, A. N.
- The Internet and Time Displacement: A Canadian Perspective; 2002; Pronovost, G.
- The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Research; 2002; Puig, M.
- Daily Activity and Internet Use in Dual-Earner Families: A Weekly Time-Diary Approach; 2002; Fu, S.- J., Wang, R., Qui, Y.
- Navigation Patterns in Web Surveys; 2002; Ramirez, C. M.
- The Use of Online Market Research in Stakeholder Relationship Management; 2002; Reichmann, S.
- Open vs. closed questions in Web surveys; 2002; Reja, U., Lozar Manfreda, K., Hlebec, V., Vehovar, V.
- Restricted privacy: Information privacy as a culture-specific construct; 2002; Ribak, R.