Web Survey Bibliography
Title Measuring Customer Satisfaction with a Salient Event: An Experimental Design Analyzing the Impact of Self-Administered Survey Mode and Personalized Vi
Author Schuldt, G. R., McDevitt, P. K.
Access date 06.05.2004
Abstract Using an experimental research design, the paper explores the impact of self-administered survey mode (conventional U. S. mail vs. email survey mode) and the presence (or absence) of a personalized visual image on response rates and on responses to selected satisfaction questions. The research uses a proprietary data base containing data reporting client expectations, satisfaction and repurchase intent following a salient event that occurred during early June 2002. On a random basis, the nearly 700 clients were divided into four experimental groups, based on mode of survey (conventional mail vs. email) and the presence or absence of a personalized visual image on the survey cover letter. Relevant experimental groups are examined with regard to: 1) completion rates; 2) time of completion; 3) data quality, including response rates to an open-ended question; and 4) levels of expressed satisfaction. The authors identify and discuss technical problems that occurred during the implementation of the survey project and discuss the implications of the research for surveying satisfaction with, and marketing of, such events. The authors also report and discuss differences in outcomes between the 2002 satisfaction survey, which was based on a carefully structured experimental design, and the 2001 survey, which was not.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (396)
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Developing a Strategy for Sampling U.S. Mobile Phone Users Based on European Models; 2003; Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M.
- Comparing Internet “River,” Internet; 2003; Feld, K. G.
- A Comparison between Using the Web and Using the Telephone to Survey Political Opinions; 2003; Forsman, G., Isaksson, A.
- Design implementation of a Multimode Web Survey; 2003; Wine, S.J., Cominole, M.B., Carwile, D.S., Perry, K.
- Partnering with a Newspaper to Assess Community Opinion Online; 2003; Downs, E.P., Lindley, A.M.
- Implementing a Web Survey Administration System at the GAO; 2003; Feldesman, A.G.
- Cognitive Processes in Web Surveys; 2003; Fuchs, M.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys With Physicians, What Works and What Doesn't Work; 2003; Schneiderman, M., Thran, S., Adams, C., Lerner, B.
- Exploring Online Survey Metodologies: Who are the Respondents and How to Get them to respond; 2003; Wolter-Warmerdam, K., Gardinali, A.P., Wong, R.
- Using RGI (Respondent Generated Interval) to gather factual information in a web survey; 2003; Lusinchi, P.D.
- Methodological issues in Web data collection of ego-centered networks; 2003; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Hlebec, V.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- How Does Ranking Rate?: A Comparison of Ranking and Rating Tasks.; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Shaeffer, E. M., Thomas, R. K.
- Survey Administration Effects? A Comparison of Web-Based and Traditional Written Self-Administered Surveys...; 2003; Bandilla, W., Bosnjak, M., Altdorfer, P.
- Web vs. IVR: Mode Effects in Structured Interviews Utilizing Rating Scales; 2003; Callegaro, M., Bhola, D. S., Yang, Y.
- What They See Is What We Get: Response Options for Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Crawford, S. D., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Measuring Visual Political Knowledge; 2003; Prior, M.
- Collecting Eye Tracking Data to Test QUAID, A Web Facility that Helps Survey Methodologists Identify...; 2003; Graesser, A., Daniel, K. F., Cai, Z., Cooper, E., Whitten, S., Louwerse, M.
- Survey content foreknowledge and response rate; 2003; Ehrlich, N. J.
- Web Survey Design: Comparing Static and Interactive Survey Instruments; 2003; Nyiri, Z., Clark L.R.
- Comparing Web-Based Survey Methods with other Approaches: An examination of health knowledge, opinion...; 2003; Greiling, K.A., McCarrier, P.K., Stringer, M.C.
- The role of issue involvement in UK public attitudes to the single European currency; 2003; Roberts, E.C.
- Using an Instructional Web Site for Respondents to Improve Response Quality; 2003; Trussell, N., Lai, J. W., Shuttles, D. C.
- Partipation in Online Surveys: Results from a Series of Experiments; 2003; Kiniorski, A. K., Smith, M. R.
- Web Survey Bias: Sample or Mode Effect?; 2003; Grandcolas, U., Rettie, R., Marusenko, K.
- Psychological Research Online: Opportunities and Challenges; 2003; Kraut, R., Olson, J., Banaji, M., Bruckman, A., Cohen, J., Couper, M. P.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- When Respondents Know Too Much: Limitations of Web Surveys for Electoral Research; 2003; Callum, N., J., Sturgis, P.
- Measuring Customer Satisfaction with a Salient Event: An Experimental Design Analyzing the Impact of...; 2003; Schuldt, G. R., McDevitt, P. K.
- Effects of sponsor identity and perceived data security on response rates and data quality; 2003; Davis, B., Levin, K., O'Brien, J., Wang, A., Gordon, A., Shipp, S.
- Does Order Really Make a Difference? The Impact of Respondent and Question Characteristics on Response...; 2003; O'Neill, G.E.
- An Experiment with Respondent Burden in a Pop-Up Web Survey; 2003; David, P., Horner, L. R., Diedrichs, C., Rogers, S. M., Connell, T.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- The Advent of internet surveys for political research: comparison of telephone and internet samples; 2003; Berrens, R. P., Bohara, A. K., Jenkins-Smith, H. C., Silva, C. L., Weimer, D. L.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- A love affair with MUDs: Flow and social interaction in multi-user-dungeons; 2003; McKenna, K., Sangchul L.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Web questionnaire design: some practical considerations; 2003; Dowling, Z.
- Web Questionnaire Design: some practical considerations; 2003; Dowling, Z.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- Design of Follow-up Questions in Web Surveys; 2003; Balter, O., Kjellstrom, O.
- Consumer preferences for commercial Web site design: an Asia-Pacific perspective; 2003; Yang, X., Ahmed, Z. U., Ghingold, M., Boon, G. S., Mei, T. S., Hwa, L. L.
- The Global Digital Divide: A Sociological Assessment of Trends and Causes; 2003; Drori, G. S., Suk Jan,Y.
- Social Stratification and the Digital Divide; 2003; Wilson, K. R., Wallin, J. S., Reiser, C.
- Internet Research: The Role of the Focus Group; 2000; Chase, L., Alvarez, J.