Web Survey Bibliography
Title Go With the Flow: Cognitive Testing of a Multi-mode, Multi-Agency Survey about Drinking Water
Author Wilson, B. F., Kamimoto, L. A., Whitaker, K. R., Williams, M., Dockins, C., Kim, H., Posnick, L. M., Canfield, B.
Access date 07.05.2004
Abstract The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), jointly with the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, plan to conduct an anonymous Internet-based survey to assess the use of bottled water, tap water and home water filtration systems. The survey will include questions about water perceptions, knowledge, reasons for bottled water or water filtration system use, and attendant costs. A phone version of the survey will also be developed to assess the same information. The survey questions were assessed in the CDC Questionnaire Design Research Laboratory using two study modes: a pilot Internet survey site and telephone-administered survey. After revision, the final Internet-based survey will be launched in 2003. In order to produce a brief and coherent survey instrument, the investigators had to combine the goals, language and theoretical constructs of the different supporting agencies dealing with hidden springs of unrecognized differences in bureaucratic settings. For example, the FDA asked questions about knowledge of regulations – questions that carried implicit assumptions of the public’s awareness of and trust in government’s role in water issues. Other questions in the draft instrument were intended to provide data for “Averting Behavior” analysis, a techniques used by EPA economists to measure “Willingness to Pay”. The questions ask respondents how much they pay for bottled or filtered water, and how much safer they think bottled or filtered water is than tap water. Bridging such assorted cognitive domains was challenging. This presentation will describe the findings of this multi-mode, multi-agency project.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2003
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (468)
- Information Needs and Visitors' Experience of an Internet Expert Forum on Infertility; 2005; Himmel, W., Meyer, J., Kochen, M. M., Michelmann, H.-W.
- How New Subscribers Use Cancer-Related Online Mailing Lists; 2005; Rimer, B. K., Lyons, E. J., Ribisl, K. M., Bowling, J. M., Golin, C. E., Forlenza, M. J., Meier, A.
- Use of Internet Audience Measurement Data to Gauge Market Share for Online Health Information Services...; 2005; Wood, F. B., Benson, D., LaCroix, E.-M., Siegel, E. R., Fariss, S.
- There Is Hope for the Future: National Survey Results Reveal that Geriatric Medicine Fellows Are Well...; 2005; Pan, C. X., Carmody, S., Leipzig, R. M., Granieri, E., Sullivan, A., Block, S. D., Arnold, R. M.
- Evaluation of surgical margins in melanocytic lesions: a survey among 152 dermatopathologists; 2005; Sellheyer, K., Bergfeld, W. F., Stewart, E., Roberson, G., Hammel, J.
- Web-based and Mailed Questionnaires: A Comparison of Response Rates and Compliance; 2005; Baelter, K., Balter, O., Fondell, E., Trolle-Lagerros, Y.
- Using a web-based survey to assess correlates of intention towards HIV testing among never-been-tested...; 2005; Hou, S.-I., Wisenbaker, J. M.
- Smoking Cessation Research via the Internet: A Feasibility Study; 2005; Stoddard, J. L., Delucchi, K. L., Muñoz, R. F., Collins, M., Pérez-Stable, E. J., Augustson,...
- Biases in internet sexual health samples: Comparison of an internet sexuality survey and a national...; 2005; Ross, M. W., Mansson, S.-A., Daneback, K., Cooper, A., Tikkanen, R.
- Analysis of Break-off Patterns in Web Surveys; 2005; Ahsan, S., Broach, R. J.
- Evaluation of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in Young People Using a Web-Based Survey Technique.; 2005; Chung, J. H., des Roches, C. M., Meunier, J., Eavey, R. D.
- The psychometric properties of pen-and-pencil and internet versions of the midlife women's symptom index...; 2005; Im, E. O., Chee, W., Bender, M., Cheng, C.- Y., Tsai, H.- M., Kang, N. M., Lee, H. S.
- An overview of the ethics of cyber-space research and the implication for nurse educators; 2005; Haigh, C., Jones, N. A.
- Demands on web survey tools for epidemiological research; 2005; Baelter, O., Baelter, K.
- Challenges of Internet Recruitment: A Case Study with Disappointing Results; 2005; Koo, M., Skinner, H.
- Challenges in conducting longitudinal randomized controlled trials online - The story of evaluating...; 2005; Davidovich, U.
- Adjusting for selection bias in Web surveys using propensity scores: the case of the Health and Retirement...; 2005; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P.
- Internet-administered adolescent health questionnaires compared with a paper version in a randomized...; 2005; Mangunkusumo, R. T., Moorman, P. W., van den Berg -de Ruiter, A. E., van der Lei, J., de Koning, H....
- Mode effects for collecting alcohol and tobacco data among 3rd and 4th grade students: A randomized...; 2005; McCabe, S. E., Boyd, C. J., Young, A., Crawford, S. D., Pope, D.
- An On-line Survey of Consumers with Migraine; 2004; Gibb, I. et al.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S.-W.
- An experiment in call scheduling; 2004; Cunningham, P., Martin, D., Brick, J. M.
- A household panel as a tool for cost-effective health-related population surveys: validity of the "...; 2004; Potthoff, P., Heinemann, Lothar A.J., Guther, B.
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Alcohol-related problems experienced by university students in New Zealand; 2004; McGee, R., Kypri, K.
- Using the Web to trap data; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection in Women's Health Research: A Study of Perimenopausal Women with Migraines; 2004; Moloney, M. F.
- The web survey network of sudden infant death syndrome and apparent life-threatening events in the Emilia...; 2004; Parmigiani, S., Bevilacqua, G., Leali, L., Pisani, F.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison (2); 2004; Leece, P., Bhandari, M., Swiontkowski, M., Schemitsch, E., Tornetta, P., Devereaux, P. J., Guyatt, G...
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison; 2004; Ritter, P., Lorig, K., Laurent, D., Matthews, K.
- Feasibility of Collecting Diary Data From Asthma Patients Through Mobile Phones and SMS (Short Message...; 2004; Anhoej, J., Moeldrup, C.
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.
- New Age Eunuchs: Motivation and Rationale for Voluntary Castration; 2004; Wassersug, R. J., Zelenietz, S. A., Squire, G. F.
- Self-reported Premature Ejaculation and Aspects of Sexual Functioning and Satisfaction; 2004; Rowland, D., Perelman, M., Althof, S., Barada, J., McCullough, A., Bull, S., Jamieson, C., Ho, K. -F...
- What makes an error unacceptable? A factorial survey on the disclosure of medical errors; 2004; Schwappach, D. L. B., Koeck, C. M.
- Surgical Management of Obese Patients with Eating Disorders: A Survey of Current Practice; 2004; Devlin, M. J., Goldfein, J. A., Flancbaum, L., Bessler, M., Eisenstadt, R.
- Egg Consumption Patterns and Salmonella Risk in Finland; 2004; Lievonen, S., Havulinna, A. S., Maijala, R.
- Current Status of Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine Headache in Japanese Women; 2004; Igarashi, H., Sakai, F.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S. -W.
- Does Telephone Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing Improve the Accuracy of Prevalence Estimates...; 2004; Currivan, D. B., Nyman, A. L., Biener, L. F., Turner, C. F.
- A comparison of a computer-based questionnaire and personal interviews in determining oral health-related...; 2004; Chestnutt, I. G., Morgan, M. Z., Hoddell, C., Playle, R.
- Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members; 2004; Flume, P. A., Taylor, L. A., Anderson, D. L., Gray, S., Turner, D.
- Web-Based Behavioral Surveillance Among Men Who Have Sex With Men: A Comparison of Online and Offline...; 2004; Elford, J., Bolding, G., Davis, M., Sherr, L., Hart, G.
- Attempting to adjust for selection bias in Web surveys with propensity scores: the case of the Health...; 2004; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P., Winter, J.
- An Internet-based survey method for college student drinking research; 2004; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J., Cashell-Smith, M. L.
- A brief screening questionnaire for infant sleep problems: Validation and findings for an Internet sample...; 2004; Sadeh, A.
- An Internet survey of asthma treatment; 2004; Janson, C., Wjst, M.
- Information needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered health care professionals: results of...; 2004; Keith, L., Fikar, C. R.
- The Utility of Conducting Interviews in Multiple Languages on the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2004; Triplett, S., Zelon, H., Dean, L., Murphy, J., Thalji, L.
- A Comparison of Two Web-Based Surveys: Static versus Dynamic Versions of the NAMCS Questionnaire; 2004; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Galesic, M., Givens, J.