Web Survey Bibliography
Title Go With the Flow: Cognitive Testing of a Multi-mode, Multi-Agency Survey about Drinking Water
Author Wilson, B. F., Kamimoto, L. A., Whitaker, K. R., Williams, M., Dockins, C., Kim, H., Posnick, L. M., Canfield, B.
Access date 07.05.2004
Abstract The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), jointly with the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, plan to conduct an anonymous Internet-based survey to assess the use of bottled water, tap water and home water filtration systems. The survey will include questions about water perceptions, knowledge, reasons for bottled water or water filtration system use, and attendant costs. A phone version of the survey will also be developed to assess the same information. The survey questions were assessed in the CDC Questionnaire Design Research Laboratory using two study modes: a pilot Internet survey site and telephone-administered survey. After revision, the final Internet-based survey will be launched in 2003. In order to produce a brief and coherent survey instrument, the investigators had to combine the goals, language and theoretical constructs of the different supporting agencies dealing with hidden springs of unrecognized differences in bureaucratic settings. For example, the FDA asked questions about knowledge of regulations – questions that carried implicit assumptions of the public’s awareness of and trust in government’s role in water issues. Other questions in the draft instrument were intended to provide data for “Averting Behavior” analysis, a techniques used by EPA economists to measure “Willingness to Pay”. The questions ask respondents how much they pay for bottled or filtered water, and how much safer they think bottled or filtered water is than tap water. Bridging such assorted cognitive domains was challenging. This presentation will describe the findings of this multi-mode, multi-agency project.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Health (444)
- Validation of the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) for internet and automated telephone self-report administration...; 2004; Brodey, B. B., Rosen, C. S., Brodey, I. S., Sheetz, B. M., Steinfeld, R. R., Gastfriend, D. R.
- Alcohol-related problems experienced by university students in New Zealand; 2004; McGee, R., Kypri, K.
- Using the Web to trap data; 2004; Mrayyan, M. T.
- Online Data Collection in Women's Health Research: A Study of Perimenopausal Women with Migraines; 2004; Moloney, M. F.
- The web survey network of sudden infant death syndrome and apparent life-threatening events in the Emilia...; 2004; Parmigiani, S., Bevilacqua, G., Leali, L., Pisani, F.
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison (2); 2004; Leece, P., Bhandari, M., Swiontkowski, M., Schemitsch, E., Tornetta, P., Devereaux, P. J., Guyatt, G...
- Internet Versus Mailed Questionnaires: A Randomized Comparison; 2004; Ritter, P., Lorig, K., Laurent, D., Matthews, K.
- Feasibility of Collecting Diary Data From Asthma Patients Through Mobile Phones and SMS (Short Message...; 2004; Anhoej, J., Moeldrup, C.
- Collegiate Living Environments: A Predictor of Binge Drinking, Negative Consequences, and Risk-Reducing...; 2004; Boyd, C. J., Mc, S., d'Arcy, H.
- New Age Eunuchs: Motivation and Rationale for Voluntary Castration; 2004; Wassersug, R. J., Zelenietz, S. A., Squire, G. F.
- Self-reported Premature Ejaculation and Aspects of Sexual Functioning and Satisfaction; 2004; Rowland, D., Perelman, M., Althof, S., Barada, J., McCullough, A., Bull, S., Jamieson, C., Ho, K. -F...
- What makes an error unacceptable? A factorial survey on the disclosure of medical errors; 2004; Schwappach, D. L. B., Koeck, C. M.
- Surgical Management of Obese Patients with Eating Disorders: A Survey of Current Practice; 2004; Devlin, M. J., Goldfein, J. A., Flancbaum, L., Bessler, M., Eisenstadt, R.
- Egg Consumption Patterns and Salmonella Risk in Finland; 2004; Lievonen, S., Havulinna, A. S., Maijala, R.
- Current Status of Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine Headache in Japanese Women; 2004; Igarashi, H., Sakai, F.
- Results of an On-Line Survey of Patients with Hereditary Angioedema; 2004; Huang, S. -W.
- Does Telephone Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interviewing Improve the Accuracy of Prevalence Estimates...; 2004; Currivan, D. B., Nyman, A. L., Biener, L. F., Turner, C. F.
- A comparison of a computer-based questionnaire and personal interviews in determining oral health-related...; 2004; Chestnutt, I. G., Morgan, M. Z., Hoddell, C., Playle, R.
- Transition programs in cystic fibrosis centers: Perceptions of team members; 2004; Flume, P. A., Taylor, L. A., Anderson, D. L., Gray, S., Turner, D.
- Web-Based Behavioral Surveillance Among Men Who Have Sex With Men: A Comparison of Online and Offline...; 2004; Elford, J., Bolding, G., Davis, M., Sherr, L., Hart, G.
- Attempting to adjust for selection bias in Web surveys with propensity scores: the case of the Health...; 2004; Schonlau, M., van Soest, A., Kapteyn, A., Couper, M. P., Winter, J.
- An Internet-based survey method for college student drinking research; 2004; Kypri, K., Gallagher, S. J., Cashell-Smith, M. L.
- A brief screening questionnaire for infant sleep problems: Validation and findings for an Internet sample...; 2004; Sadeh, A.
- An Internet survey of asthma treatment; 2004; Janson, C., Wjst, M.
- Information needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered health care professionals: results of...; 2004; Keith, L., Fikar, C. R.
- The Utility of Conducting Interviews in Multiple Languages on the World Trade Center Health Registry; 2004; Triplett, S., Zelon, H., Dean, L., Murphy, J., Thalji, L.
- A Comparison of Two Web-Based Surveys: Static versus Dynamic Versions of the NAMCS Questionnaire; 2004; Tourangeau, R., Couper, M. P., Galesic, M., Givens, J.
- Noncoverage and Nonresponse in a Web Survey; 2004; Couper, M. P., Kapteyn, A., Schonlau, M., Winter, J.
- How Health Policy and Health Services Researchers are Compensated: Analysis of a Nationwide Salary Survey...; 2004; Resneck, J. Jr., Luft, H.
- A Comparison of CAPI and PAPI in a Nationally Representative Danish Health Survey; 2004; Ekholm, O., Hesse, U., Norlev, J., Davidsen, M.
- The Effects of Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Internet Panel Surveys Based on Random Digit...; 2004; Cameron, T. A., de Shazo, J. R., Dennis, J. M., Lee, R. J.
- Moving BRFSS from RDD to Multimode: A Web/Mail/Telephone Experiment; 2004; Mokdad, A., Link, M. W.
- Attempting to Adjust for Selection Bias in Web Surveys with Propensity Scores: The Case of the Health...; 2004; Schonlau, M., Couper, M. P., Winter, J.
- The Net Effect: A Comparison of Internet vs. Mail Survey Respondents; 2004; Friedman, E. M., Clusen, N. A., Hartzell, M.
- Reading in Virutal Research Ethics; 2004; Anonymous
- Development of a Pain and Discomfort Module for Use with the WHOQOL-100; 2004; Mason, V. L., Skevington, S. M., Osborn, M.
- Exploration of Physicians Who Choose to Respond Online; 2004; Peugh, J., Zapert, K.
- Can the Internet Be Used to Collect Clinical Data for Research?; 2004; Chow, Y. W., Treasure, T., Gallivan, S.
- Ethical Dilemmas in Research on Internet Communities; 2004; Flicker, S., Haans, D., Skinner, H.
- Panel Attrition and its Effects on Results from a Longitudinal Study: An Examination of Changes in Participants...; 2004; Baxter, R. K., Dean, E.
- Gaining Respondent Cooperation in College Web-based Alcohol Surveys: Findings from Experiments at Two...; 2004; Crawford, S. D., McCabe, S. E., Saltz, B., Boyd, C. J., Freisthler, B., Paschall, M. J.
- Ensnaring Webs and Nets: ethical issues in Internet-based research; 2004; Cotton, A. H.
- Issues In An Internet Survey Among Midlife Asian Women; 2004; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Issues in Internet survey research among cancer patients; 2004; Im, E. O., Chee, W.
- Online consumer surveys as a methodology for assessing the quality of the United States health care...; 2004; Bethell, C., Fiorillo, J., Lansky, D., Hendryx, M., Knickman, J.
- Ethical and legal issues of conducting nursing research via the internet; 2004; Cirgin Ellett, M. L., Lane, L., Keffer, J.
- Using the Online Medium for Discursive Research About People With Disabilities; 2004; Bowker, N., Tuffin, K.
- Asking about quantity and frequency of alcohol consumption before asking the CAGE questions produces...; 2004; Etter, J. -F.
- Report of the results of the Asthma awareness survey; 2003
- Evaluation of the minimal important difference for the feeling thermometer and the St. George's...; 2003; Schunemann, H. J. et al.