Web Survey Bibliography
Title Web vs. IVR: Mode Effects in Structured Interviews Utilizing Rating Scales
Access date 07.05.2004
Abstract Survey researchers have reported some, albeit mixed, results on differences in response frequency distributions when the same item is delivered via an interactive voice response system (IVR) or the Web. The current paper reports three studies that expanded research in this area. In these studies, structured instruments for personnel selection were administered to job applicants as well as incumbents. These instruments contained items that utilized 5-point Likert scales. Data were collected via IVR where respondents entered answers using the telephone keypad or via the Web where respondents entered answers using mouse clicks. In Study 1, responses of more than 25,000 job applicants to two selection instruments were compared between the Web and IVR modes. In Study 2, job applicants’ responses were compared with those obtained from a group of incumbents (n=144) via IVR. In Study 3, 134 job incumbents were administered another selection instrument on two different occasions, one in the IVR mode and the other in the Web mode. Our results revealed directional mode effects between the Web and IVR modes. However, with job applicants, differences in responses between modes were small. Furthermore, it was hypothesized that mode effects may be moderated by factors such as respondents’ motivations. Our findings were consistent with this hypothesis. The significance of the current study is twofold. First, it expanded the research on Web versus IVR mode effects from the survey research area to the personnel selection arena. Secondly, it expanded previous research by investigating factors that moderate mode effects
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Callegaro, M. (55)
- Paradata in Web Surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Paradata in web surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- From mixed-mode to multiple devices. Web surveys, smartphone surveys and apps: has the respondent gone...; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Web coverage in the UK and its potential impact on general population web surveys; 2013; Callegaro, M.
- Yes-No versus Checkboxes Response Options in Web Surveys: What Form is Closer to Benchmarks?; 2012; Murakami, M., Callegaro, M., Henderson, V., Tepman, Z., Dong, Q.
- Effects of Progress Indicators on Short Questionnaires; 2012; Sedley, A., Callegaro, M.
- Effects of Pagination on Short Online Surveys; 2012; Sedley, A., Callegaro, M.
- A Systematic Review of Studies Investigating the Quality of Data Obtained with Online Panels; 2012; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Krosnick, J. A., Yeager, D. S.
- A taxonomy of paradata for web surveys and computer assisted self interviewing (Casi); 2012; Callegaro, M.
- Unpublisihed internal Google report on break off rates by device type; 2011; Callegaro, M.
- A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress indicators in Web surveys; 2011; Callegaro, M., Villar, A., Yang, Y.
- Should we use the progress bar in online surveys? A meta-analysis of experiments manipulating progress...; 2011; Callegaro, M., Yang, Y., Villar, A.
- Designing Surveys for Mobile Devices: Pocket-sized surveys that yield powerful results; 2011; Callegaro, M., Macer, T.
- How the Order of Response Options in a Running Tally Can Affect Online Survey Estimates.; 2011; Callegaro, M., DiSogra, C., Wells, T.
- IVR and web administration in structured interviews utilizing rating scales: exploring the role of motivation...; 2011; Yang, Y., Callegaro, M., Bhola, D. S., Dillman, D. A.
- Presentation of a single item versus a grid: Effects on the vitality and mental health subscales of...; 2010; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Do You Know Which Device Your Respondent Has Used to Take Your Online Survey?; 2010; Callegaro, M.
- Computing response metrics for online panels; 2009; Callegaro, M., DiSogra, C.
- The Effect of Email Invitation Subject Title and Text on Online Survey Completion Rates in Internet...; 2009; Kruse, Y., Thomas, M., Nukulkij, P., Callegaro, M.
- Differences Between Internet and Non-Internet Households on Survey Items: Do These Differences Disappear...; 2009; Zhang, C., Callegaro, M., Thomas, M.
- Producing Straightlining and Item Non-Differentiation in a Web Survey: How Visual Design Plays a Role...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Do we hear different voices?: Investigating the differences between internet and non-internet users...; 2009; Zhang, C., Callegaro, M., Thomas, M., DiSogra, C.
- The Effect of Email Invitation Customization on Survey Completion Rates in an Internet Panel: A Meta...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Kruse, Y., Thomas, M., Nukulkij, P.
- Panel Conditioning and Attrition in the AP-Yahoo! News Election Panel Study; 2009; Kruse, Y., Callegaro, M., Dennis, J. M., DiSogra, C., Subias, S., Lawrence, M., Tompson, T.
- Recruiting Probability-Based Web Panel Members Using an Address-Based Sample Frame: Results from a Pilot...; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M., Hendarwan, E.
- Presentation of a Single Item versus a Grid: Effects on the Vitality and Mental Health Scales of the...; 2009; Callegaro, M., Shand-Lubbers, J., Dennis, J. M.
- Computing Response Rates for Probability-Based Web Panels; 2009; DiSogra, C., Callegaro, M.
- Response latency as an indicator of optimizing in online questionnaires; 2009; Callegaro, M., Yang, Y., Bhola, D. S., Dillman, D. A., Chin, T. -J.
- Computing Response Metrics for Online Panels; 2009; Callegaro, M., DiSogra, C.
- Effects of Pre-coding Response Options for Five Point Satisfaction Scale in Web Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T., Kruse, Y.
- An implementation of a within-household selection procedure for web surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M., Osborn, L., Debell, M., Leuvano, P.
- Do online respondents go the extra mile and take on inconvenient tasks?; 2008; Callegaro, M., Wells, T.
- Response options order effect and category number association: An experiment using items on a five point...; 2008; Tang, G., Callegaro, M.
- More than the digital divide?: Investigating the differences between Internet and non-Internet users; 2008; Zhang, C., Callegaro, M., Thomas, M.
- “R U in the Network?!” Using Text Messaging Interfaces as Screeners for Working Cell Phone...; 2008; Buskirk, T. D., Rao, K., Callegaro, M., Arens, Z., Steiger, D. M.
- Computing Metrics for Online Panels; 2008; Callegaro, M., DiSogra, C.
- Impact of new technologies in data collection methods; 2008; Callegaro, M.
- Seam Effects in Longitudinal Surveys; 2008; Callegaro, M.
- Key Issues in Research Accuracy: Sources of bias and error in online research; 2008; Dennis, J. M., Callegaro, M.
- Web Questionnaires: Tested Approaches from Knowledge Networks for the Online World ; 2008; Callegaro, M.
- The influence of mobile telephones on telephone surveys; 2008; Kuusela, V., Callegaro, M., Vehovar, V.
- The influence of advance letters on response in telephone surveys; 2007; de Leeuw, E. D., Callegaro, M., Hox, J., Korendijk, E., Lensvelt-Mulders, G. J.
- Using Text Messages in U.S. Mobile Phone Surveys ; 2007; Steeh, C. G., Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M.
- Fitting disposition codes to mobile phone surveys: experiences from studies in Finland, Slovenia and...; 2007; Callegaro, M., G., Buskirk, T. D., Vehovar, V., Kuusela, V., Piekarski, L. G.Steeh, C. G.
- Social Aspects of Mobile Phone Usage and Their Impact on Survey Cooperation; 2007; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Mobile Phones - Influence on Telephone Surveys; 2006; Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M.
- Text 2 U: Contacting wireless subscribers using text messaging and wireless web for mobile phone surveys...; 2004; Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M., Steeh, C. G.
- Response latency as an indicator of optimizing. A study comparing job applicants and job incumbents'...; 2004; Callegaro, M., Yang, Y., Bhola, D. S., Dillman, D. A.
- Mobile Phones as a Survey Tool; 2004; Vehovar, V., Callegaro, M., Kuusela, V.
- Calculating outcome rates for mobile phone surveys. A proposal of a modified AAPOR standard and its...; 2004; Callegaro, M., Buskirk, T. D., Piekarski, L., Kuusela, V., Vehovar, V., Steeh, C. G.