Web Survey Bibliography
Title The role of issue involvement in UK public attitudes to the single European currency
Author Roberts, E.C.
Access date 07.05.2004
Abstract People in the UK have been shown consistently to hold amongst the least favourable attitudes towards European integration across the whole of the EU. They are also found to be the citizens who are least well-informed about European issues and, in contrast to their European counterparts, they continue to show a high level of resistance towards the possibility of a European identity. A considerable body of research has linked these latter findings with the former, proposing that widespread opposition towards closer integration with the EU (namely via economic and monetary union with the twelve ‘Euroland’ states) is to be understood as a product of apathy and ignorance and reluctance to endorse the ideological project of the European Union. The present research explores this idea by proposing a theoretical framework for understanding how involvement and identity might interact together to influence attitude formation and change. The Elaboration Likelihood Model of persuasion (Petty and Cacioppo, 1981; 1986) provides the basis for this model, proposing that the process by which an individual appraises his/her attitude in response to a persuasion attempt is moderated by their level of involvement in the issue and their motivation to engage with the information with which they are presented. It is hypothesised that the likelihood that national identity will act as a peripheral cue for the formation of attitudes relating to the euro will be dependent on involvement (i.e. levels of knowledge about and interest in the euro issue). This paper reports the findings of an online survey of British students, which employed an experimental design, randomly allocating respondents to different conditions which allowed the investigation of the impact information and identity on attitudes, at varying levels of involvement.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Year of publication2003
Web Survey Bibliography - 2003 (403)
- eTailQ: dimensionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality; 2003; Wolfinbarger, M., Gilly, M.C.
- Assessing Response Rates And Nonresponse Bias In Web And Paper Surveys; 2003; Sax, L. J., Gilmartin, S. K., Bryant, A. N.
- Go With the Flow: Cognitive Testing of a Multi-mode, Multi-Agency Survey about Drinking Water; 2003; Wilson, B. F., Kamimoto, L. A., Whitaker, K. R., Williams, M., Dockins, C., Kim, H., Posnick, L. M.,...
- Asking Comparative Questions: A Comparison Of Three Wording Strategies; 2003; Liu, K.
- Comparing Propensity Score Weighting with Other Weighting Methods: A Case Study; 2003; Forsman, G., Varedian, M.
- It’s Only Incidental: Effects of Response Format in Determining Behavioral or Event Occurrence; 2003; Lafond, C.R., Smith, M. R., Behnke, C. S., Thomas, R. K.
- Evaluating Unit nonresponse Rates in Web Surveys - A Meta Study; 2003; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Dolničar, V.
- The Effects of Cash, Electronic, and Paper Gift Certificates as Respondent Incentives for a Web-Based...; 2003; Birnholtz, J. P., Horn, D. B., Finholt, T. A., Bae, S. J.
- Developing a Strategy for Sampling U.S. Mobile Phone Users Based on European Models; 2003; Buskirk, T. D., Callegaro, M.
- Comparing Internet “River,” Internet; 2003; Feld, K. G.
- A Comparison between Using the Web and Using the Telephone to Survey Political Opinions; 2003; Forsman, G., Isaksson, A.
- Design implementation of a Multimode Web Survey; 2003; Wine, S.J., Cominole, M.B., Carwile, D.S., Perry, K.
- Partnering with a Newspaper to Assess Community Opinion Online; 2003; Downs, E.P., Lindley, A.M.
- Implementing a Web Survey Administration System at the GAO; 2003; Feldesman, A.G.
- Cognitive Processes in Web Surveys; 2003; Fuchs, M.
- Using Internet-Based Surveys With Physicians, What Works and What Doesn't Work; 2003; Schneiderman, M., Thran, S., Adams, C., Lerner, B.
- Exploring Online Survey Metodologies: Who are the Respondents and How to Get them to respond; 2003; Wolter-Warmerdam, K., Gardinali, A.P., Wong, R.
- Using RGI (Respondent Generated Interval) to gather factual information in a web survey; 2003; Lusinchi, P.D.
- Methodological issues in Web data collection of ego-centered networks; 2003; Vehovar, V., Lozar Manfreda, K., Koren, G., Hlebec, V.
- Can What We Don’t Know (about “Don’t Know”) Hurt Us?: Effects of Item Non-response...; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Behnke, C. S., Lafond, C.R., Thomas, R. K.
- How Does Ranking Rate?: A Comparison of Ranking and Rating Tasks.; 2003; Krosnick, J. A., Shaeffer, E. M., Thomas, R. K.
- Survey Administration Effects? A Comparison of Web-Based and Traditional Written Self-Administered Surveys...; 2003; Bandilla, W., Bosnjak, M., Altdorfer, P.
- Web vs. IVR: Mode Effects in Structured Interviews Utilizing Rating Scales; 2003; Callegaro, M., Bhola, D. S., Yang, Y.
- What They See Is What We Get: Response Options for Web Surveys; 2003; Tourangeau, R., Crawford, S. D., Conrad, F. G., Couper, M. P.
- Measuring Visual Political Knowledge; 2003; Prior, M.
- Collecting Eye Tracking Data to Test QUAID, A Web Facility that Helps Survey Methodologists Identify...; 2003; Graesser, A., Daniel, K. F., Cai, Z., Cooper, E., Whitten, S., Louwerse, M.
- Survey content foreknowledge and response rate; 2003; Ehrlich, N. J.
- Web Survey Design: Comparing Static and Interactive Survey Instruments; 2003; Nyiri, Z., Clark L.R.
- Comparing Web-Based Survey Methods with other Approaches: An examination of health knowledge, opinion...; 2003; Greiling, K.A., McCarrier, P.K., Stringer, M.C.
- The role of issue involvement in UK public attitudes to the single European currency; 2003; Roberts, E.C.
- Using an Instructional Web Site for Respondents to Improve Response Quality; 2003; Trussell, N., Lai, J. W., Shuttles, D. C.
- Partipation in Online Surveys: Results from a Series of Experiments; 2003; Kiniorski, A. K., Smith, M. R.
- Web Survey Bias: Sample or Mode Effect?; 2003; Grandcolas, U., Rettie, R., Marusenko, K.
- Psychological Research Online: Opportunities and Challenges; 2003; Kraut, R., Olson, J., Banaji, M., Bruckman, A., Cohen, J., Couper, M. P.
- Propensity score and calibration as bias reducing techniques in surveys based on Internet panels: application...; 2003; Johansson, C., Lorenc, B.
- When Respondents Know Too Much: Limitations of Web Surveys for Electoral Research; 2003; Callum, N., J., Sturgis, P.
- Measuring Customer Satisfaction with a Salient Event: An Experimental Design Analyzing the Impact of...; 2003; Schuldt, G. R., McDevitt, P. K.
- Effects of sponsor identity and perceived data security on response rates and data quality; 2003; Davis, B., Levin, K., O'Brien, J., Wang, A., Gordon, A., Shipp, S.
- Does Order Really Make a Difference? The Impact of Respondent and Question Characteristics on Response...; 2003; O'Neill, G.E.
- An Experiment with Respondent Burden in a Pop-Up Web Survey; 2003; David, P., Horner, L. R., Diedrichs, C., Rogers, S. M., Connell, T.
- The Impact of Lottery Incentives on Student Survey Response Rates; 2003; Whitcomb, M. E., Porter, S. R.
- The Advent of internet surveys for political research: a comparison of telephone and internet surveys...; 2003; Berrens, R. P., Bohara, A. K., Jenkins-Smith, H. C., Silva, C. L., Weimer, D. L.
- Patterns of Response and Nonresponse from Teachers to Traditional and Web Surveys; 2003; Mertler, C. A.
- A love affair with MUDs: Flow and social interaction in multi-user-dungeons; 2003; McKenna, K., Sangchul L.
- A Methodology for the Administration of a Web-Based Questionnarie; 2003; Antunes, M. J., Castro, E., Mealha, O.
- Web questionnaire design: some practical considerations; 2003; Dowling, Z.
- Web Questionnaire Design: some practical considerations; 2003; Dowling, Z.
- Survey Automation: Report and Workshop Proceedings; 2003; Tourangeau, R.
- Design of Follow-up Questions in Web Surveys; 2003; Balter, O., Kjellstrom, O.
- Consumer preferences for commercial Web site design: an Asia-Pacific perspective; 2003; Yang, X., Ahmed, Z. U., Ghingold, M., Boon, G. S., Mei, T. S., Hwa, L. L.