Web Survey Bibliography
Title Using an Instructional Web Site for Respondents to Improve Response Quality
Access date 07.05.2004
Abstract Nielsen Media Research measures local market television viewing by mailing over four million diary survey booklets to households nationwide each year. Starting in May of 2002, in addition to the instructions printed in the diary on how to complete the survey, an address to the Nielsen’s Diary Assistance Web Site was provided to respondents for further instructional assistance. The objective in creating the Diary Assistance Web Site was to improve the quality of data collected by the diary. It was hypothesized that the interactive instructions and visual examples available on the Web site would better assist respondents who have Internet access and prefer online instructions, and thereby reduce item nonresponse rate and improve the overall data quality. The effectiveness of the Web site was assessed by the changes that may have occurred to the following data quality measures: the number of usable diaries returned to Nielsen, the number of diaries not meeting editing rules/requirements (i.e., "No Good" diaries), and the amount of imputation for missing data. Additionally, e-mail questions about the instructions of the diary and an online evaluation form of the Web site from respondents were collected and analyzed.
Access/Direct link Homepage - conference (abstract)
Year of publication2003
Bibliographic typeConferences, workshops, tutorials, presentations
Web Survey Bibliography - Lai, J. W. (6)
- The Unusual Suspects for Survey Non-response: A Follow-up Study with Respondents and Non- Respondents...; 2010; Lai, J. W., Bell, S., Walker, M., Link, M. W., Narciso, L., Jin, T.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2010; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- Life360: Usability of Mobile Devices for Time Use Surveys; 2009; Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., Link, M. W., Pearson, J., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.
- Life360: Use of Mobile Technology for Electronic Ethnographic Studies; 2009; W., Lai, J. W., Vanno, L., Makowska, H., Benezra, K., Green, M.Link, M. W.
- An Experimental Testing of Format Changes to Reduce Missing Data and Increase; 2004; Lavrakas, P. J., Steve, K. W., Bennett, M., Lai, J. W.
- Using an Instructional Web Site for Respondents to Improve Response Quality; 2003; Trussell, N., Lai, J. W., Shuttles, D. C.