Web Survey Bibliography
Title Navigational issues in the design of online self-administered questionnaires
Author Norman K. L., Friedman, Z., Norman, K., Stevenson, R.
Source Behaviour & Information Technology, 20, 1, pp. 37-45
Access date 10.05.2004
Abstract Answering questions on surveys involves the access of internal knowledge structures, the retrieval of records from external databases and the navigation of items on the interface. In this study a number of alternative designs for online questionnaire presentation were investigated. A long heterogeneous survey was partitioned in four ways: whole form, semantic sections, screen pages and single items. Questionnaires were presented with or without an index, resulting in eight versions. Neither initial completion times nor subjective assessments differed among the eight versions due to the highly linear navigation of the surveys. Respondents were asked to revisit 16 questions based on the topic of the question or on the question number and to change their answers. Revision times reflected ease of finding items in the structure of the survey and the use of an index to the sections of the questionnaire.
Bibliographic typeJournal article
Year of publication2001
Web Survey Bibliography - 2001 (350)
- Response Rates as a Measure of Survey Quality; 2001; Beerten, R., Lynn, P., Laiho, J., Martin, J.
- Insuring sample equivalence across internet and paper-and-pencil assessments; 2001; Epstein, J., Klinkenberg, W. D., Wiley, D., McKinley, L.
- The Internet as a Public Opinion Laboratory: Experiments with Survey Questions; 2001; Bishop, G. F., Jabbari, B. J.
- Volvo attitude survey over the internet. The use of technology to improve organisational effectiveness...; 2001; Turner, C. F.
- Political Polling on the Internet; 2001; Black, G. S.
- Integrating attitudinal theories to understand and predict use of technology-based self-service: The...; 2001; Bobbitt, L. M., Dabholkar, P. A.
- Going Global: Issues in Applying Internet; 2001; Bauman, S., Jobity, N., Wilson, D., Atak, H., Deis, M., Airey, J.
- A Web-Based Survey Method for Evaluating Different Components of Uncertainty in Relative Health Risk...; 2001; Weiss, B.
- New survey medium: Collecting marketing data with e-mail and the World Wide Web; 2001; Dibb, S., Rushmer, A., Stern, P.
- Experimental comparison of Web, electronic and mail survey technologies in operations management; 2001; Klassen, R.D., Jacobs, J.
- Web Surveys: Perceptions of Burden; 2001; Crawford, S. D., Couper, M. P., Lamias, M. J.
- Navigational issues in the design of online self-administered questionnaires; 2001; Norman K. L., Friedman, Z., Norman, K., Stevenson, R.
- A comparison of cigarette smokers recruited through the Internet or by mail; 2001; Etter, J. -F., Perneger, T.V.
- An Assessment of the Generalizability of Internet Surveys; 2001; Best, S. J., Krueger, B. S., Hubbard, C., Smith, A.
- Internet versus Mail as a Data Collection Methodology from a High-Coverage Population; 2001; Bates, N.
- From Eliza to Internet: a brief history of computerized assessment; 2001; Epstein, J., Klinkenberg, W. D.
- E-mail Versus Conventional Postal Mail Survey of Geriatric Chiefs; 2001; Raziano, D.B., Jayadevappa, R., Valenzula, D., Weiner, M., Lavizzo-Mourey, R.
- Phone-Web-Phone: The Methodology of Tomorrow; 2001; Feld, K. G.
- Improving Lines Of Communication To Maximize Results Of Web-Based Data; 2001; Gnall, B.
- Changing Patterns of Web Usage Among Elite Populations in a Multi-Modal National Survey; 2001; Steiger, D. M., Montgomery, M., Abraham, S.Y.
- Methodologies for internet surveys and other telesurveys; 2001; Nathan, G.
- Internet Remains a Man's Domain; 2001; Pastore, M.
- Criteria For Evaluating Alternative Methodologies Online - What Works Best? When?; 2001; Perrott, N.
- Strategies For Implementing An In-House Internet Based Research Capability: Lessons Learned In Leveraging...; 2001; Cookson, P.
- A statisticians view. The importance of sampling in online research; 2001; Wildner, R., Conklin, M.
- Measurement Error in Web Surveys; 2001; Couper, M. P.
- Ability and achievement testing on the world wide web; 2001; Wilhelm, O., McKnight, P. E.
- Designing Lengthy Internet Questionnaires: Suggestions and Solutions; 2001; Wojtowicz, T.
- Web survey design and administration; 2001; Couper, M. P., Traugott, M. W., Lamias, M. J.
- Response Timing and Coverage of Non-Internet Households in an Internet-Enabled Panel; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Pinpointing Your Research Objectives: Ensuring Your Efforts Result In Useful, Actionable Information; 2001; Wolf, M.
- How Much Is The Same: The Impact Of Web Interviewing On Budgetary Choices; 2001; Bocian, M., Wolford, M. L.
- Comparative Analysis Of Telephone, Web And E-Interview Survey Techniques; 2001; Wygant, S.
- Use of the Internet in survey research; 2001; Yeaworth, R. C.
- Linking Customer Service Performance To Bottom Line Financial Results; 2001; Yeomans, J.
- Leveraging Interactive Web-Based Reporting Systems – Can It Provide A Competitive Advantage for...; 2001; Zalesky, C.
- The Impact of Adding e-Interviewers To Web-Based Research; 2001; Feld, K. G.
- Using Web-Based Technology For Effective Product Design, Testing And Development; 2001; Gnall, B.
- Humanizing Self-Administered Surveys: Experiments on Social Presence on the Web and Interactive Voice...; 2001; Steiger, D. M., Couper, M. P., Tourangeau, R.
- Telesurvey Methodologies For Household Surveys - A Review And Some Thoughts For The Future?; 2001; Nathan, G.
- Online Consumers Now the Average Consumer; 2001; Pastore, M.
- How To Improve Response Rates And Data Quality In Online Research; 2001; Perrott, N.
- Internet Surveys: Timeliness of Data Collection and Individual Survey Period Length; 2001; Biffignandi, S., Pratesi, M.
- The Computer-Email-Web Fluency Scale - Development and Results; 2001; Bunz, U.
- How to do ... Online Research; 2001; Comley, P.
- Practicalities of Implementing an Inhouse Internet-Based Market Research Capability for Product Tracking...; 2001; Cookson, P.
- Are Internet Panels Creating Professional Respondents? A Study of Panel Effects.; 2001; Dennis, J. M.
- Errors in Web Surveys; 2001; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V., Batagelj, Z.
- Sensitivity of E-Commerce measurement to the survey instrument; 2001; Lozar Manfreda, K., Vehovar, V., Batagelj, Z.
- Publishing a Major Government Report in Electronic Format - the Implications for Social Researchers; 2001; Walker, A., Connor, S.